Bathroom Scales - Temperature Sensitive?

I'm wondering how temperature sensitive common spring loaded bathroom scale are.

I've got a feeling the reported weight changes by about 1 percent when the temperature in the bathroom ours is in varies between "cool" and "hot" by about 15 degrees F, reading lower when cool and higher when hot.

That would coordinate with the springs getting "softer" when warm, wouldn't it?

Whay say guys?

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

No, not until the spring is heated enough to change the metal's structure. This would be a one-time event, not repeatable and would occur at many hundreds of degrees.

Springs will get slightly longer at high temperatures but 1% is a *lot*. This would mostly be offset by adjusting the zero offset, anyway.

What does change from day to day and even hour to hour is our weight. Remember, a 16oz glass of water weighs a pound. A couple of those, and you have your 1% (my weight easily changes 2-3% over a day and probably that much over a week, as well). This is why they tell us to weigh ourselves at the same time every day - not because the scale has gained weight. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Are you always placing the scale in the same place - and always on a hard, level surface?

Placing a scale on a soft surface like a rug may make it inaccurate.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I say, do a controlled experiment. Find something that doesn't change weight. A suitcase with 150 pounds of bricks maybe? Weigh it with hot and cold scale. It's not rocket science.

Reply to
mike

Bathroom scales are not all that accurate to begin with. 1% is not much change as you vary that much from morning to night anyway. Doubt temperature would make that big of a difference, but you'd have to check it with a constant weight, not your body.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Unless you're weighing a rocket.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

*will* make it inaccurate. I can get on and off my scale on a tile floor a dozen times and it will read within 1/10th of a pound each time. [out of 230 or so pounds]

If I move it so its feet are on 4 different tiles, it can vary as much as a couple pounds.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Ours is on a tile floor too. I'll have to try that...

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia