Bathroom retiled. Toilet troubles

Wife and I retiled the floor and walls in one of our bathrooms this weekend. The old ceramic tile was the original and I noticed while knocking it out that the mortar was much thicker than what we had done in other rooms. Maybe up to 1" thick. Well everything is now done except for putting the old toilet back in. Started yesterday but of course now the flange is much higher than the floor. When connected there is a 3/4"-1" gap between the toilet and floor. Is there another idea of how to solve this problem besides using 4x4 white tiles or maybe making something out of the tiles we used on the floor to raise the area beneath the toilet. From what I can come up with I am going to have to make a stage for the throne, lol. Thanks for any input. Just interested mainly if others here have ran into this problem. Should we have used way too much mortar like the original builders and raised the entire floor? Concrete slab by the way.

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

What is the flange and the pipe made of?? Is there any space around the pipe or is the slab concrete poured right against it? If the flange is plastic, does it go *inside* the pipe or *outside* the pipe?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

If you're game to try, you can use an angle grinder to cut the flange off (cut pipe flush with floor). Then insert an expansion flange made just for cast iron situations like this. It has a rubber insert which opens up when you tighten the bolts.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

I just did the same thing last weekend. I purchased the standard wax ring and added an additional extended wax ring. No problems.

Reply to
Captain Ron

I saw this situation on a TV show recently. I don't remember all of the details, but I think they used the toilet base as a guide to mark a pattern, then used a jigsaw to cut out a base to go under the toilet. They cut a hole in the center of the base for the flange to come through. I just can't remember what the base was made of -- I'm thinking some kind of plastic that was the right thickness, but maybe it was just wood.

Anyway, I think your idea of building a stage or platform is the easiest way to go.

Reply to
Frank

I think it was solid surface material (Corian, Fountainhead). Very easy to cut and machine.

Reply to
Gary

OK now this is getting funny. The old flange was so rusted it broke. So now I just returned from Home Depot with a grinder. Is this going to be fun? Something funny to tell the paramedics when they cart me away? I am experienced with tools but just would like to know what to expect. I got the metal/steel grinding pad.

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

Which is the reason I just called a plumber. lol

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

I don't know if this is possible but, is there any chance that sparks from the grinder could cause sewer/methane gas coming from the drain pipe to explode?

Reply to
Cafe1

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price

Please keep me (us) informed, on the final outcome.I love happy endings...Good Luck Barry/Austin

Reply to
Barry

That's not "too much" mortar. Sounds like the old fashioned thick-bed mortar, an honorable craft. Or perhaps leveling compound.

Either you cut the flange down, or raise the pedestal.

I would make a paper template and use it to cut some marble or granite of the right height to make a riser slightly larger than the contour of the pedestal, and bed that in with thinset. With a diamond saw you can cut stone to just about any shape you like. Use layers if you can't find stone thick enough. Only thing I can think of that wouldn't look completely silly.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Tommy,

I'm not sure I follow this. Did you remove the old floor and install one that is an inch lower? Won't you be constantly stubbing your toes on the doorsill?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I suppose the building up was a no-go, after the cast iron thing was no longer any good. I'd be a little scared of the grinder and all, but it's probably just something that takes time. Most of the time you get a tool and within 60 seconds you expect your job to be over. Patience truly is a virtue. But if you bought a grinder, just for this purpose, dollars to doughnuts it's gonna work. Just give the tool time to work. Really can't see any other way to get that down, either. Yes, please keep us posted. Good luck. While I don't use *instant messaging*, I can see a need for it with alt.home.repair. LOL

Reply to
ng_reader

Reply to
Tommy & Megan Price