Bathroom retiled. Toilet troubles

Page 1 of 2
Wife and I retiled the floor and walls in one of our bathrooms this weekend. The old ceramic tile was the original and I noticed while knocking it out that the mortar was much thicker than what we had done in other rooms. Maybe up to 1" thick. Well everything is now done except for putting the old toilet back in. Started yesterday but of course now the flange is much higher than the floor. When connected there is a 3/4"-1" gap between the toilet and floor. Is there another idea of how to solve this problem besides using 4x4 white tiles or maybe making something out of the tiles we used on the floor to raise the area beneath the toilet. From what I can come up with I am going to have to make a stage for the throne, lol. Thanks for any input. Just interested mainly if others here have ran into this problem. Should we have used way too much mortar like the original builders and raised the entire floor? Concrete slab by the way.
Tommy & Megan Price wrote:

What is the flange and the pipe made of?? Is there any space around the pipe or is the slab concrete poured right against it? If the flange is plastic, does it go *inside* the pipe or *outside* the pipe?
Jim
The flange is cast iron (I'm guessing. It is rusted and definitely not PVC). From the looks of things I'm stuck with the flange height unless I find a bunch of money to pay a plumber to tear it out and redo it an inch or so lower. I enjoy finding ways to drive myself crazy. lol

weekend.
out
Maybe
besides
on
with
Forgot to add that the slab is poured right up against the pipe.

the
used
up
problem.
Tommy & Megan Price wrote:

If you're game to try, you can use an angle grinder to cut the flange off (cut pipe flush with floor). Then insert an expansion flange made just for cast iron situations like this. It has a rubber insert which opens up when you tighten the bolts.
Jim

Oh Geez that sounds extreme. lol I'd hate to have to pay a plumber to do that and I am afraid it sounds over my head. I definitely would need to be introduced to a grinder, lol. I told my wife last night I wished we had the opposite problem because I figured there were many easier ways to raise the flange height but not lower it. I'll do some quick research on cutting pipe and think about trying something else for the first time, lol.

it
rooms.
old
much
the
used
up
any
problem.
and
I just did the same thing last weekend. I purchased the standard wax ring and added an additional extended wax ring. No problems.

weekend.
Maybe
besides
on
with
If I had tiled over my old floor that would be the way to fix it. We broke up and threw out the old tile (Son has a thing for running water so most everything including the 30+ year old mortar was shot). The mortar was over an inch thick so when we put in the ceramic and thinset (mortar whatever) it was 3/4" or an inch lower. I think I am about to start building a little stage out of 4x4 tiles to sit the toilet on. I am scared of going the grinder route. If the tile thing doesn't work I will have to call a plumber. I had told my wife before we started that plumbing is one thing I am NOT good at. LOL

out
I saw this situation on a TV show recently. I don't remember all of the details, but I think they used the toilet base as a guide to mark a pattern, then used a jigsaw to cut out a base to go under the toilet. They cut a hole in the center of the base for the flange to come through. I just can't remember what the base was made of -- I'm thinking some kind of plastic that was the right thickness, but maybe it was just wood.
Anyway, I think your idea of building a stage or platform is the easiest way to go.

over
it
plumber.
I think it was solid surface material (Corian, Fountainhead). Very easy to cut and machine.
--
Remove the two instances of "REM" in my email address to reply.
"Frank" < snipped-for-privacy@afhiuyre.mhd> wrote in message
OK now this is getting funny. The old flange was so rusted it broke. So now I just returned from Home Depot with a grinder. Is this going to be fun? Something funny to tell the paramedics when they cart me away? I am experienced with tools but just would like to know what to expect. I got the metal/steel grinding pad.
I don't know if this is possible but, is there any chance that sparks from the grinder could cause sewer/methane gas coming from the drain pipe to explode?

now
Which is the reason I just called a plumber. lol

Had a new tile floor installed that resulted in the toilet drain pipe (with flange) extending above the floor. Plumber did the job and just used a grinder to get it to the required height. MLD

I think I am going to try once again to grind one of the sides of the cast iron down a little to help make the new flange level. Just kind of freaked me out with all of those sparks going for probably 10 minutes or so and all it looked like was that I was polishing the pipe, lol.

So
fun?
expect.
did you get safety glasses? Metal "dust" or shards in the eyes is not fun.
Tommy & Megan Price wrote:

I already had some along with a breathing mask. I gave up after about 5 minutes of sparks with very little success. I know a good plumber (ie reasonable) so I will let them do the rest.

fun.
now

So
fun?
expect.
Please keep me (us) informed, on the final outcome.I love happy endings...Good Luck Barry/Austin
I suppose the building up was a no-go, after the cast iron thing was no longer any good. I'd be a little scared of the grinder and all, but it's probably just something that takes time. Most of the time you get a tool and within 60 seconds you expect your job to be over. Patience truly is a virtue. But if you bought a grinder, just for this purpose, dollars to doughnuts it's gonna work. Just give the tool time to work. Really can't see any other way to get that down, either. Yes, please keep us posted. Good luck. While I don't use *instant messaging*, I can see a need for it with alt.home.repair. LOL
Tommy & Megan Price writes:

That's not "too much" mortar. Sounds like the old fashioned thick-bed mortar, an honorable craft. Or perhaps leveling compound.
Either you cut the flange down, or raise the pedestal.
I would make a paper template and use it to cut some marble or granite of the right height to make a riser slightly larger than the contour of the pedestal, and bed that in with thinset. With a diamond saw you can cut stone to just about any shape you like. Use layers if you can't find stone thick enough. Only thing I can think of that wouldn't look completely silly.