Bathroom remodeling?

Hi all, The previous owner of my house painted the wall tile in the bathroom. Needless to say it looks bad. Is there a way I can just put new tile over the old tile? Or does the old tile have to be ripped down? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Sid

Reply to
Sid

You need to remove the old tile before applying new. Hopefully you won't find that the tile was put on incorrectly as well. :( Have you tried simply removing the paint and re-grouting? Might be a bit easier in the long run.

James

Reply to
JNJ

Is this ceramic tile, or is it the awful plastic stuff that was so popular in the 50's? Do you know what color the tile is? If you could get the paint off, would you love it then? The previous owner obviously was pretty desperate, one wonders why.

Removing the paint, as the other poster suggested, is going to be a nasty job, and is not even possible if the tile is plastic, not that you would want to do it in that case anyway.

Most people (unfortunately) end up tearing the wall out back to the studs and re-drywalling. This is not in fact all that big a deal, but it is messy. On the plus side you get to insulate, and if you hate the bathtub, this is the time to get rid of it.

Reply to
donald girod

Last time I had a job that was no big deal, I ended up tearing out a bathroom, closet, bedroom, 3 walls, subfloor, underlayment, AND added 8 new joists, a wood footer, new renditions of everything we tore out, new plumbing and electrical, and new fixtures throughout. BTW, all we started out doing was fixing a floor beneath a tub...right up until the hammer went through the floor and into the basement. :-)

James

Reply to
JNJ

Yeah, well, we all have those kinds of days sometimes.

Reply to
donald girod