Bathroom Remodel

Page 1 of 2

I just finished removing all the drywall, the sink and toilet from this small upstairs bathroom. I am trying to decide whether to replace or repair/refinish the old cast iron bathtub that is already there.
One of the problems I have is that the bathtub is set so that the drywall comes down to the top edge of the tub instead of the drywall going all the way to the floor and the tub butting up against the drywall. If I want to keep this tub and drywall all the way to the floor, it looks like I will need to move one wall a little bit and then move the tub over and probably adjust the position of the drain. Also, the longest part of the tub is up against an exterior wall.
If I decide to replace the bathtub, what are the odds that I can find one with just the dimensions I need?
Anybody got any ideas on this kind of situation?
Thanks, David

So far, so good.

That is the standard way. I don't know how else you'd do it. You want the outermost edge of the tub lip to be tight against the studs so that all wall materials are overhanging the tub. It's the simplest way to have a waterproof installation. I suppose you could use Redgard and an applied flashing to cover the rim, but then you'd have to increase the wall tile setting bed thickness to compensate. That's a losing proposition.

I don't understand the desire to run the drywall to the floor. Why do it?

They are more or less standard. If you need to notch out a quarter of an inch of the studs - just recess the rim - that's fine, or if it's a little small, just shim out the studs with plywood strips.

It just seemed natural to me, inexperienced me which is why I ask here and everywhere else I can first, and, of course, I did not realize that it is easier to have a waterproof seal with the drywall overlapping the tub.
Thanks, David

There is a lot more to a tile installation than gluing up tile. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Asking a few random questions on a newsgroup can't replace a concerted effort of study. Before you go a step further, hie thee to a library and check out a copy of Setting Tile by Michael Byrne. It will tell you all of the stuff you need to know and the order in which to do things.
RicodJour wrote:

Uh, modern tub with lip and skirt, or old clawfoot, that was perhaps badly boxed in, in a previous remodel, to make it look 'modern'? Seen lotsa those in older houses. But yeah, if this is a modern tub, tub goes in first, and you build the bathroom around it.
I'll throw in the standard reminder to insulate behind and under the tub while the walls are open. Even with a cast-iron tub, it makes the water stay hot longer, and reduces cold-butt syndrome climbing into an empty tub.
--
aem sends...

Here ye go.
http://dyhibb.fileave.com/Bathtub%203.JPG
I don't know how modern it is but it's not a claw foot type.
hibb wrote:

fileave site you are a tenant on) weren't an unwitting zombie carrier or something recently, were you?
Bottom line- I can't see your picture unless I disable my security perimeter. Can you copy it over to one of the trusted public photo sites?
--
aem sends...

Worked fine for me using FF and running AVAST 5.0.594.
It looks like your basic steel tub with a flange to accept the wallboard.

I'll have to check in to that. This is the first time I have used FileAve. I posted in another NG about needing a file hosting site and another poster posted a link to a page that rated those sites. FileAve was the top rated file hosting site from that page.

FYI...I am able to access the picture via my corporate-image system even with it's site-blocking proxy servers. I can't access anything at tinypic, but I had no problem with the fileave site.

I can access it too, using explorer and norton. It's a standard tub. Whether it stays or goes depends on what condition the surface is in and we can't determine that from the pic. If it's not OK, I don't think I'd refinish it. Doing a complete remodel, I'd want a new one so I'm sure you're not going to have problems in a few years again.

Works OK on my iMac...
Joe

Yeah, OP, what's up with that? Fileave is a shaky site. http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/fileave.com Do better than that if you're going to post here.

I used to have that WOT application on my browser. I had to wonder if they based some of their ratings on data from users that were less than honest. Perhaps other sites trying to give their competition a bad reputation.
Still, tho. Now I recon I had better use something else.

I have seen the WOT thing skewed by someone with a bone to pick, but that fileave site had a number of specific complaints, and not just privacy issues. Better safe than sorry.
RicodJour wrote:

(or moving into the better machine sitting on the floor that also needs a fresh load), but recovering from a major infection or crash is a siginificant PITA. Not so much the 2-3 hours loading the software, but the days drilling around on the crashed drive recovering and sorting data, and tweaking all the program settings, etc. I keep meaning to buy an external drive, since I no longer have the patience to spool stuff off to CDs, but at the moment the past 2 years or so are basically not backed up.
I have enough PCs sitting around- I really ought to have one dedicated just to internet/usenet browsing, with no data I care about loaded on it. Image that to a spare drive, so when it gets infected, it is a matter of minutes to start over.
--
aem sends...

hibb wrote:

The link worked fine for me (I'm using Windows XP, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Comodo).
You mentioned in a later post that you believe there are some good solutions out there to refinish or touch up a cast iron tub. My suggestion would be to stay away from trying any refinish techniques. If there are any defects or problem areas in the tub, replacing it will be a better idea in my opinion. Also, by replacing the tub, you will have access to all of the walls and all of the florr area, and connecting up the new plumbing will be easier. You will also have better access to the wiring issue that came up.
Cast iron tubs weigh a ton (or, more correctly, a couple of hundred pounds +/-). But they are easy to get out. You use a sledge hammer and break them up. There are lots of http://YouTube.com videos to show how that's done. I watched the videos and did one and it was fun to do. Put the cast iron pieces out by the curb and scrap metal collectors will take it in a flash.
About the shower idea -- what's the plan in terms of the window? If you have a shower, the window will be in the middle of the shower area and you will have to figure out how to tile around it etc.
Any suggestions out there (I don't have any) for how "hibb" could or should deal with the window in the new shower/tub area?

Are we sure it's cast? Mine was steel and I basically got it out by myself, in one piece.

Here's an interesting way...you gotta love the safety glasses neatly perched on top of the guy's head.
At least he'll know where they are if he ever needs them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlo5VTDUhrE&feature=related

At the current price (here) of $185.00 a ton I would take the time to drop it off myself. :)
Colbyt