Bathroom Redo Opinions/Suggestions

Hi, I received an estimate on two bathrooms that I am planning on having redone. The estimate includes total rip-out of the bathrooms walls and fixtures. No changes to the design of the bathrooms will be done. New sheet rock, etc is included, but not the cost of the fixtures or tile. The estimate for each bathroom is $5100.00. Each bathroom is measures 5 x 8. I plan on getting two more estimates after the holidays, but was just curious on opinions of whether this is a fair estimate? Also, any suggestions or opinions on a particular manufacturer for fixtures. I've had American Standard for close to 40 years in these bathrooms. They are showing their age now, but they held up through 4 kids and 4 grandkids. I am looking for good grade fixtures, not high end or low end, but middle of the road. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on Americast tubs? This was suggested to me, but I am hesitant and think that I would prefer cast iron. Thanks in advance. Regards, Dunzley

Reply to
Dunzley

if that's just for demo and drywall work, that's a lot i would expect. couldn't you do all the demo yourself? a good prybar and a hammer would do it.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Just went through two bathrooms. A complete remodel job, including fixtures, even a new shower and putting down a new tile floor could get as high as $10,000 ea.. Once you get started with a contractor and he pulls a permit also be prepared for the possibility of having additional (unexpected) work in order to bring things up to code. As for as fixtures, I bought Kohler toilets and a Sterling (part of Kohler)

Reply to
MLD

I just remodeled my own 5 x 8 bathroom. Upper-mid quality everything. New tub, toilet, vanity, sink, mirror, faucets, lights, fan, and shower doors. Ripped out the sheetrock, replaced same, ripped out the old tile, replaced same. Also tiled the tub/shower.

The project was tough - in a 5x8 room, you've got to be very careful in measuring, cutting, and in what you buy so everything fits the space properly.

My rough estimate is that I have $2500 in the project, plus my time. $5100 doesn't seem so bad.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

We just had our tiny little (not even enough room for a tub) bathroom demo'd. Turns out all the plumbing for the third floor bathroom (pretty much above it) also has to be replaced. Plus there were the leaks that came through to the bedrooms & the leak to the the dining room ceiling... but I digress.

It will cost us a minimum $1,000 for the sink, shower set, toilet & medicine cabinet. Nice stuff, but not really high-end. That doesn't include any carpentry, plumbing, tile or electric work (or materials). I don't know if that helps you or not. You can go off to the local Big Box or plumbing places to look at your fixture choices.

We have a pretty new Kohler low-flow toilet that seems to work just fine. We like Moen faucets, etc. because they are a local company & have great customer service. (I've been able to retrofit their faucets myself!) We normally only look at stuff from well-known manufacturers who've been around for a while.

I don't know where you're located, but $5,100 doesn't sound like a lot for a bathroom remodel. I'd be more concerned about the contractors doing the work, whether they'll do the work in a timely manner, do a good job, etc. Of course, since we opened the walls, ceiling & floor & found so much had gone so bad, I'd also want to make sure I had some contingency money on hand. I have a feeling that any estimate is going to be just that, but then, we live in a 1929 home with a lot of original mechanicals.

We're also going to have to buy more groceries now that the plumber is going to be "living" with us for a while...

Reply to
montana