Bathroom Plastic Stall; Adding Additional Plastic ?

Hello:

Would like to get some advice from all of you so I can learn a little on this before contacting a Contractor.

Have a 25 yr old house in which the upstairs shower stall is one of those molded plastic types, where most of it goes in as a single unit.

It's about 6 feet high, which leaves the remainder to the ceiling, and the ceiling itself, just painted drywall. It has begun to flake.

I am thinking of asking a contractor to come in and discuss the possibility of doing the rest of the walls and the ceiling with additional plastic.

a. Is this feasible ?

b. After scraping the flakes off, need there be any surface treatment or priming (e.g. with that Zssner product) beforehand ? Can the primer, if needed, go directly over the existing paint ? (I'm assuming the drywall underneath the flakes is still in "reasonably" good shape)

c. If not in good shape, what do I do ?

d. As always, there's always a complication. The ceiling over the stall is curved. Not a plane surface that slopes, an actual curve to the outside walls. Not drastic, but a pretty fair amount of curvature. If "plastic'd" over, can they handle a curved surface ?

e. How should the joints be sealed ? RTV Silicone ?

Any other options, thoughts on what else to ask the contractors, etc., would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

possibility

Go to builder's supply stores and review the vinyl-surface wallboard designed for bathrooms. It is designed to look like ceramic tiles and is flexible enough to fasten to a bowed wall.

Reply to
Don Phillipson