bathroom light with 2 switches-- problem

I have a bathroom flourescent light with 2 different switches (at opposite sides of the room). Recently one switch has been humming and it turned the light on and off inconsiscently. I figured it was that one switch. So I replace the switch. Now that switch works fine but the other switch (which I never touched) won't turn the light on and off. When I do hit that switch there is a quick blink, but that is it. Anybody see what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Reply to
Senin

Sounds like you wired a 3 way switch incorrectly. Was there 3 wires or just

2 on the new switch? The common screw on a 3 way switch is a different color metal, it may not be in the same spot as the old switch.

Reply to
PipeDown

No, seems like a 2 way switch

Reply to
Steven

My apologies. It looks like it was a "Grounding 3-way Quiet Switch. I guess the answer is to get a regular switch.

Thanks and my apologies.

Reply to
Steven

You can use that one, but you need to wire it differently. One wire on each side, you likely have both wires on the same side now.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually there were 4 wires. I wired it the same as when I pulled the old switch out.

On top there was a thin white wire that curled around the screw.. There was also a thick white wire, a black wire and a red wire that fit into the slots.

Reply to
Steven

Or he replaced wrong switch. Bad was the other one!

Reply to
Tony Hwang