Bathroom faucet handles loose

New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

I would use clear silicone. That would keep the screw tight BUT it could also be removed if needed. WW

Reply to
WW

Sorry to hear. Quality of manufacturing is suffering.

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

service, such as changing a faucet washer. I'd try low strength Locktite.

handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

won't keep coming unscrewed?

I discovered that they did sell a permanent and non-permanent type a few years ago. Everybody might not know this.

Reply to
Frank

Nothing too strong. A drop of varnish, lacquer, nail polish etc. will usually suffice.

Reply to
dadiOH

Aparently, the OP bought the non permanant faucet handles?

I discovered that they did sell a permanent and non-permanent type a few years ago. Everybody might not know this.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nothing too strong. A drop of varnish, lacquer, nail polish etc. will usually suffice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

won't keep coming unscrewed?

If you have those universal handles with the set screws they always get loose. I try to stay away from using them as much as possible.

Reply to
recyclebinned

porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

they won't keep coming unscrewed?

I try to stay away from using them as much as possible.

Wish I could, but they are on the only sink in the only bathroom in the house.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

won't keep coming unscrewed?

Thanks to all for suggestions.

  1. Is Locktite removable if necessary? If so, what is the solvent?

  1. Same for clear nail polish. I assume the solvent is polish remover?

  2. Went to Locktite site and got another idea. What about wrapping in plumber's/electrician's thread tape?

Together, our giant minds will lick this one yet!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

That is correct. Blue is the easier to remove strength. Red isn't really permanent, just takes a lot more force. Blue would be fine for this. I use it on my snowboard mounting screws. Keeps them from coming out, but they still come out readily with a screwdriver.

Reply to
trader4

orcelain handles, which I got.  But can't find receipt to give mfr. name!  Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

Yes. Use the lower strength blue. There is no solvent, it just helps bind the threads and you remove as usual with a screwdriver.

That will probably work too and again, no solvent required.

in plumber's/electrician's thread tape?

Wrapping what? The screw or the stem before the handle goes on? Screw for sure isn't going to work. Loctite/polish on the screw threads is way to go.

Reply to
trader4

porcelain handles, which I got.  But can't find receipt to give mfr. nam e!  Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

ut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

g in plumber's/electrician's thread tape?

or sure isn't going to work.

***The stem. Thought it would create enuff friction to keep it tight.-

ot be seen? Straight q.

Nail polish on the screw threads is way to go.

You said no solvent required to remove nail polish ???? Sure is required to get it off nails! Clarification, pls, TIA.

HB

OK, how many votes for Locktite and how many for nail polish?-

Reply to
Higgs Boson

***The stem. Thought it would create enuff friction to keep it tight.-

Nail polish on the screw threads is way to go.

You said no solvent required to remove nail polish ???? Sure is required to get it off nails! Clarification, pls, TIA.

HB

OK, how many votes for Locktite and how many for nail polish?-

I vote for neither. As I said in first reply, Clear silicone. You cannot see it but easy to remove and works good. I also use it on slip joint drain pipes with gasket. Seals good but can be taken apart easy. WW

Reply to
WW

te porcelain handles, which I got.  But can't find receipt to give mfr. n ame!  Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

ing in plumber's/electrician's thread tape?

crew for sure isn't going to work.

t will not be seen?  Straight q.

They are two different strength products. Red is high strength. Blue is regular strength. They color them different so mechanics can tell them apart and use the right one.

red to get it off nails!  Clarification, pls, TIA.

You put the Loctite or naipolish on the THREADS OF THE SCREWS. You use a screwdriver to take the screws out. The Loctite just binds it up so that it can't come out as easily, ie it won't loosen up. I would not put loctite on the shaft of the faucet. If solvent were required to get it apart, I don't know how you'd get the solvent into where it needs to go.

I know Loctite works because that's what it's made for. Nailpolish is a similar idea. How much it holds vs nailpolish, IDK.

Reply to
trader4

Neither it nor the others I suggested will resist a screwdriver. The solvent for nail polish is acerone (nail po;ish remover); lacquer thinner would probably do it too.

Reply to
dadiOH

I vote for using nail polish, that saves a trip to the store for the locktite. IF Locktite, I would use the blue, the red may be too strong to be able to remove the handles without damaging the screwdriver slot. But if the handles will not need to be removed for as long as you are in the house, then go for the red loctite.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Another option is to use an old plumber's trick.

When replacing a washer on a cartridge stem, often the soft rubber washer compresses too much in the middle before the screw actually tightens up.

So, around here it was common for plumbers to put the brass bibb screw through the washer and then use a pair of side cutters to muck up the screw threads immediately on the back side of the washer. That way, as soon as the screw was starting to compress the washer, the mucked up male threads on the bibb screw would enter the female threads of the spindle and the screw would get significantly tighter. That is sufficiently tight to hold the washer firmly in place, but without compressing the middle of the washer all out of shape.

I'm thinking the solution might be to use brass faucet handle screws instead of the stainless steel ones the faucet probably came with, and simply use a pair of wire cutters to muck up the threads of the brass screw only a little. That way, the screw might be a little harder to turn in and out of the spindle, but it won't turn by itself, and therefore the faucet handles won't loosen up.

And, that solution sidesteps Higgs Boson's concern about how to remove the nail polish or Loctite if desired cuz there won't be any nail polish or Loctite invoved.

Any place that sells fasteners will stock or be able to order brass screws for you.

Reply to
nestork

Wow, thanks, guys for these hugely educational comments! Let's hear it for plumbers -- one step down from god.

But, Nestork, remember this is a family group! The below could be read several ways, depending on the depravity of the reader's mind.

*** That way, as soon as the screw was starting to compress the washer, the mucked up male threads on the bibb screw would enter the female threads of the spindle and the screw would get significantly tighter. That is sufficiently tight to hold the washer firmly in place, but without compressing the middle of the washer all out of shape.***

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Deliberately buggering up the threads on screws that fasten a faucet handle sounds like a bad idea to me.

Reply to
trader4