Bathroom Fans

Page 2 of 2
I'm not sure I understand your reply.

Yes I recall UK Government issued a warning some years back about CO dangers if using ceiling fan in same room as gas appliance.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:41:14 -0400, "David Gale"

Hey David! Consumer Reports says the Panansonic model is the best ceiling exhaust fan on the market. I did a quick Google "Froogle" search for a Panasonic FV-08VQ2 and came up with several websites of vendors who sell these fans. Check out this one:
http://www.atrendyhome.com/pawhli110cfm.html
This exhaust fan should give you years of trouble free quiet service...your wife may hate it since it does not make any noise!
:-) Regards, Bill

Somewhere the attic was mentioned? While the following is probably obvious: Make sure, especially if you are in a cool/cold climate to exhaust 'outside'. The last thing anyone needs is pounds of damp air condensing into water in their attic or roof space. (People still ask about that! On this and other similar news groups!) Again if you are in a cool climate I'll mention that we had to ensure that the vents to the outside sloped 'down', not 'up' as recommended! Because in cold weather the warm damp air condensed in the vent pipes and moisture ran back into the house! All we get now is a slight icicle on the outer edge of the vent housing. Also when you are assembling/installing the vent piping, using say a combination of flexible and sections of metal piping, position the joins so that any moisture that does condense will drain 'down' the pipe to the outer end. You can also use duct tape and/or large pipe clamps. Good luck.

You can also insulate the ducting, which is what I did.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Yes, but you'll need more light for shaving or makeup application. If sound is not an issue, get the one with the largest cfm. A 30-minute timer to automatically turn off the fan is nice to have.

about
their
as
How many cubic feet is the bathroom? L X W X H = CF
Keep in mind the manufacturers sone ratings are typically at very low static pressures (.1 and below). You add a piece of duct (increasing external static pressure) to the fan and the sones are an entirely different story. If your wife likes the noise, I would recommend 1.5 + at least. Broan Silent series is a nice fan. It's not as quiet as the Panasonic and still a nice fan.
In order to size the fan properly, you need the cubic footage of the space to determine the air changes per hour. The fan in my enclosed water closet is sized at 24 air changes per hour. It only takes 2.5 minutes to remove all my stink in the morning =)
Rob

About 520. I'd just mentioned the square footage since the fans I was looking at all said that they were rated for, say, a 50 square foot bath, or a 100 square...
-David
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:26:02 -0400, David Gale

The panasonic website tells you how to determine what to buy, and includes calculations for ducting. I didn't use these, as my bathrooms are tiny.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

appliance
The noise covers up the fart and plop. Don't you fart and plop? =D
Rob

One reason is that she can FART really loud without anyone noticing.

I don't think women are able to fart.
Option #1 Send me your wife and I will make her happy. She can stay in my bathroom and listen to my noisy fan all day long. Can she cook?
Option #2 Buy the best Panasonic bathroom fan you can afford. Forget the light. Send it to me and I will send you my noisy fan. It's been tested extensively for both noise AND exhaust functionality. Both you and your new wife will be delighted and she can remain with you.
Option #3 Combine options 1 and 2. Have your wife BRING a new Panasonic fan and I'll figure out some other way to make fan-like sounds.
Just trying to be helpful.

about
their
as

about
their
as
I have read the posts, and I still agree that you should go Panasonic...but...
If you are dead set on a noisy fan, Broan makes a nice ventilator that is 214CFM, at 1.8 Sones...runs about $175. Or, the 90CFM version that is 1.5..
Either way, wire it so you can cut the noisy thing off...it will start to drone after a while..but then, I have the Panasonics, and thats all we install in new construction now...

about
their
as
Thanks to all who responded with helpful replies. In the end, I decided to go with Panasonics; the main bathroom'll get the 110 CFM fan/light, which is rated at 1.2 sones; that ought to provide enough background noise for my wife (for those who had rather crass reasons she'd want the noise: she grew up in a city, with fairly constant background; we're now living in Vermont, which is pretty quiet. That's a little disconcerting to her. And, of course, she likes to be able to tell that the fan's working--if it were too quiet, the only indication of a problem would be taking a long, hot shower and having a foggy mirror), while is still on the quiet end of things (which I'll like). The small bathroom gets a much smaller fan--0.3 sones. And it's still far more powerful than it needs to be. Ought to be nice.
Thanks again! -David