bathroom fan questions

I would like to add a bathroom exhaust fan in our second floor bathroom. I wondered if I could just tap into the exhaust stack (galv. standard 3" pipe) of the second bathroom fan with a "Y" (upside down ofcourse) connection rather then put another hole in my roof? another option would be to just vent it out the soffit, but not the preferred method I know.

Reply to
gntry

Don Young

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net:

Gas furnace and water heater vents emit hot air, which are generally sent up a common chimney, no problem. Two fans are a bit different, don't you think? They work by fan pressure, not convection. The air is not hot and doesn't have to go up, it can just as easily come back down into the other bathroom.

Reply to
Chuckles

I've seen a setup where two bathrooms had their exhaust fans work in unison from the fan switch in either bathroom - like a 3-way light switch. Whether this works as well as two separate exhaust vents is questionable.

FG

Reply to
Frank