Bathroom fan question

Page 2 of 2
On 12/26/2010 06:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

if you have a separate toilet room you really should have two fans, or a remotely mounted fan motor with a grille in the throne room and another just outside the shower. Otherwise, as you say, it's pointless.
I personally am a big fan of hot showers - not sure of exact temp, but I can tell you with a water heater set to 120F that I can't get it hot enough to make me happy - so a bathroom without a fan WILL grow mildew/mold if I'm using it for any length of time.
Whoever recommended Panasonic and a timer, +1 on that. That's the exact setup I picked out for my last place. I can't imagine not having a timer for the fan, that way I can get all the humidity out while leaving for work as soon as I'm dressed.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

No need. Humidity isn't a problem.

You're not supposed to spend weeks in there. You'll turn into a mushroom. ;-)

I had to replace the fan[*] in the downstairs bath in my previous house. I replaced it with a Panasonic. It was noisier than what was there before. Dunno how well it worked because after my son left we rarely used that shower. [*] One of the "we're moving, gotta fix all the stuff that wasn't worth fixing before" things. The vent disintegrated and I couldn't get the hose reconnected without tearing out the fan (and it didn't want to leave peacefully). I ended up tearing more than one hole in the ceiling, but that's a separate issue... :-(
On 12/26/2010 3:06 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

That was me.

By the way, don't bother going to Home Despot or some other big orange or other colored store, or even your local hardware store for that matter, for those timers. The only place locally (San Francisco Bay Area East Bay) I could find one was at my local Real Electrical Supply House. They're actually pretty cheap, and more reliable than some electronic piece of crap.

On 12/26/2010 06:37 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I think I found 'em at Lowe's. Despite all my bitching about stuff that I want that I can't get at the Big Boxen in this respect they are OK. I also notice that they started carrying the Pass and Seymour GFCI receps with LED night light about 6 mos. after I ordered one online. another Must Have for a civilized bathroom.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

David I found them (timers) at Ace Hardware.. ww
On 12/27/2010 4:38 PM WW spake thus:

Really? The wind-up mechanical ones? (I forget the manufacturer; not Intermatic?) If so, good news.

Neither of them had any square U-bolts. Ace had 15 sizes.
Neither of them had 10" Philips #1, but Ace had two models.
Neither of them had steel clad washing machine hoses in the length I wanted. They had them with a choice of 2 or 3 ends.
All things I needed, not just things I noticed that they had.
Although I doubt the small Ace store around here has all this, I go to the bigger store.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=4%22+insulated+flexible+ducting&wrapid=tlif12933453692501&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15041962881655211769&ei=feIWTa7rGY6qsAPIlczBAg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CFwQ8wIwAQ #

What you did wrong was to run the vent pipe uninsulated through the cold attic. Normally the pipe is below the insulation. I'd re-route it as necessary so that it's on top of the existing insulation, then add more insulation on top. Or as suggested use an insulated vent pipe.
On Dec 26, 5:57am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Bingo

What you did wrong was to run the vent pipe uninsulated through the cold attic. Normally the pipe is below the insulation. I'd re-route it as necessary so that it's on top of the existing insulation, then add more insulation on top. Or as suggested use an insulated vent pipe.
Thanks , that's what I was thinking as well but wanted second opinions from the knowlegable folks here..I'll tuck it between the 2 layers of insulation...The bathroom is quite small (8x8) and there was plenty of mold on the old sheetrock as well as on the floor along the exterior wall so a vent was necessary..Yes we opened the window in the warmer months and cracked the door in winter..SWMBO takes VERY hot and lenghthy showers..There is ALOT of steam....The soffit vent I got has a spring loaded cap that is pushed open when the fan is running.The fan unit has a damper as well so no cold draft at all even on very windy days..
thanks again

At least it's square. I think that's nice. Our first house was built in the 30's I think and the bathroom was as big as a bedroom. Bigger than two of my current bedrooms. One could play ping pong in the middle without bothering the people at the sink, the tub, or the toilet.
It had a real linoleum floor (not so-called vinyl linoleum), which had some strange black and grey shapes in it, with a light colored 1" border 8" from the edge of the room. In the center was a diamond (well, a square sitting on one corner) and inside the diamond was a pair of sea horses looking at each other. This was my bathroom from the day I was born, and I was probably at least 10 before I found out that there really are sea horses.
There was a triangular closet built in to a corner, floor to ceiling, and the bathtub "surround" was the same linoleum that covered the floor. There was a seam in the middle and somehow the plaster underneath was crumbling out of the bottom 2 or 3 inches at the seam, so my mother said we couldn't' take showers. Easy for her to say, since she didn't like showers anyhow. So until after we moved, when I was 11, I had never had a shower, which is probably why I don't much like them.
Best of all, in the hall, beside the bathroom, built into the wall, were 3 big drawers at the bottom and a cabinet with two doors and shelves above it. When we went to visit my grandmother for a week or two every summer, my mother pulled out the drawers and I would crawl in there and store our valuables. No thief in those days was smart enough to find them, although I don't know that there were any burglaries anyhow. By the time we moved when I was 10, I could barely get in and out through the opening for the drawer.
If you ever have a house like that, check behind the drawers. Who knows what someone put there and forgot.

So you're married to a steamy woman. You're making some of the guys here jealous.

Wow. Energy-saving gone wild. (Isn't that a video about New Orleans?)

They should be jealous...LOL...

*Moisture is condensing from the cold in the attic. Replace the plastic flexible duct with metal duct. Seal the joints with foil tape. Wrap the metal duct with duct wrap insulation and tape the insulation seams with foil tape. If possible, pitch the duct so that water flows away from the fan. Water can pool in low spots inside the plastic flexible duct and lay there for a long time.

The pipe should be insulated or run under the attic insulation but now in winter you can benefit from the free humid heat, just cover the fan with plastic, no warm air will enter and no condensation. Is that a quality unit with louvers that close so warm air isnt always escaping? In winter I dont use my blower vent.

1. It should slope down to the outside vent to let condensates drip outside, I hope you have a directly coupled vent outlet in the soffit and not just aimed the pipe to a previously installed soffit vent as it can ice up and create mold and rot behind the soffit.
2. The duct should have been buried in the insulation not run over it, or the duct should be insulated to prevent the moisture from condensing on the walls of the cold duct and dripping back into the bathroom and/or dripping out seams and joints in the duct.
On 12/26/2010 12:13 PM EXT spake thus:

With all due respect, I don't see how that's always possible.
The exhaust fan I installed was vented through the roof, so this would have been impossible. I think you were assuming the fan was vented through a wall?