bathroom fan-light-heat

I'm going to replace my 35 year old bathroom fan-light-heater combo that has been in the house since it was built. The new one is also fan-light-heat.

I haven't done this before and am looking for some guidelines on how to install the new one, purchased from Lowes-it is a Broan brand. The old one is a Chromolox brand.

The new one appears to be the same size, or roughly the same size, as the old one. I purchased a new three button switch for the new fan.

The old fan has always vented into the attic and I will initially vent the new fan into the attic. I hope to change this later, but I haven't had any problems with mildew, etc. The attic is somewhat spacious-house about 2200 ft., northern Texas.

The entire bathroom is on a 20 amp circuit. I would like to place the new fan on separate 20 amp circuit, but will not do this right away.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
trailer

If you have an existing 3 toggle switch, just replace wire for wire.

Its done a lot. Although not the right way, if you have no problems before and the attic is vented good, then fine.

Just the heat part alone should be on a seperate circuit. If you look in the manual, it will tell you that. Even though your bathroom is on

1 circuit, it will not hold up if you have the heat and hair dryer on together.

Its straightfoward. You need to install and wire the fan in the attic. Also if the fan is anywhere inside the shower or tub, it must be on a GFI.

Reply to
Mike rock

Connect the white wire from the feed to the white wire of the unit. Connect the black feed wire to the white wire going to the switch.(remark it black) and connect it to the "common" terminal of the switch. Now you have three wires going from the junction box to the switch, Red-Black-Blue, and three wire going from the junction box to the unit, Red-Black-Blue, Splice them together at the junction box, color for color, and connect them at the switch and unit, to their corresponding functions. At a later date, if you run a new feed, just disconnect the existing one and replace it.

Reply to
RBM