Bathroom exhaust fan Q

Is it normal to have some air coming in from the fan into the bathroom. I have a screen at the end of the exhaust pipe and there is a flapper damper at the fan itself, factory installed. I cant really use a sophet vent because it restricts the air flow and causes a whistling sound when running. There was still air coming in that way too, but not as much. Had to be windier. Thanks!

Reply to
bigjcw1023

I think I can assume this condition is when not running. ; ) Cooler air will give you a draft (heavier air).

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Did you put in a s curve in the flex line or whatever you used to duct as this will cut backdraft alot

Reply to
jim

I believe you will find that most fans do have some back draft. The good ones have less. The installation and the air pressure inside the home will also make a difference. Your home needs some air exchange. For example when your fan is on, air has to be coming in from somewhere to replace it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's not unusual, unfortunately. A couple of reasons. The spring loaded damper at the outlet is a cheap piece and loses its seal. The vent pipe is also a thermal short circuit to the outside air. They're usually run through unheated spaces and consequently the air inside loses its heat and the cold air looks for a lower spot to go lie down. Namely, your bathroom.

RicodJour

Yes, but it will also decrease the desirable air flow even more.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan