BATHROOM EXHAUST FAN

The exhaust fan in both bathrooms "wails like a banshee" I suppose it's inherent to the design of the fan.

I've been in homes where tthe exhaust fan runs virtually silent.....

I'd like to replace the banshees.

Is this a "screw-out, screw-in" operation? or does each fan have its own peculiar installation ?

Reply to
Anonymous

I've replaced one. It's an easy screw-out , screw-in operation. Take the old one out, go to home-depot and get a replacement. They're not very durable. I had a new home and one failed after 3 years or so. (not much useage even) Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

It may be easy, it may not. Chances are you are going to want a different design that will be quieter by design. That means it is likely going to be a little larger and you may need access from above. There are a lot of iff's so I don't think anyone can say for sure.

For the pro it is usually not a big job as they know the tricks but for us kind of mortals, it can turn into a long term project.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The Panasonic line of bathroom exhaust fans are very quiet and well made. They can be used for a retrofit or new construction. This should take 3 - 6 hours to replace depending on your abilities, availability of tools, access to attic, duct connection, wiring connection, ease in removal of old fan, etc.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

You must be talking about a different fan/construction. I replaced mine in 15 minutes. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

I second the recommendation of Panasonic fans--I recently put one in our main bathroom (which did not already have a fan, so I can't vouch for replacement times), and am very, very happy with it. The only noise I hear is the air movement--and even that's inaudible while I'm taking a shower.

Working with my dad in the bathroom, myself in the attic, we were able to run a new wire from the switch to the fan location, cut out the ceiling, and install the new fan in a couple of hours.

We did find that the fan was designed to be installed before the ceiling, as the mounting bracket screws and the wiring would be easier to access. You can, of course, connect the wiring just before putting the box in place, which I did; it was still less than ideal.

As for the person who talked about a fifteen-minute removal/installation, I suspect that they were staying with the same manufacturer/model, so they just had to drop out the fan itself, leaving the case, and then lift in the new one. If you have to remove and remount a case, plan on being in the attic for a while.

-D.

Reply to
David Gale