Bathroom electric baseboard heater

Greetings,

I would install it enough off the floor to not have to worry about water on the floor touching it. Have you calculated the number of BTU that you need? Many heaters will run off of 120V at 1/2 the BTU output if you wanted to GFCI protect the unit more cheaply. I have several electric heaters in my bathrooms and none are GFCI protected which is of course the cheapest option of all.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

I sure would not install a electric heater one foot from a tub, even with gfci protection. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. Best call the local authorities and see if they have issues with your planned installation.

Reply to
SQLit

I am planning to add an small electric baseboard heater to a bathroom. What are the electrical code rules as far as locating the heater and wall mounted thermostat? The ideal location would have the heater no closer than 1 foot from the bathtub. The thermostat would be on the wall along side the vanity sink. The baseboard heater is from a company called Hydro-Sil in NC. It is a sealed hydronic design which limits the temperature exposed surfaces. They claim that their products are sealed enough to be "Marine rated". The thermostat design is "slighty" open to allow for air flow. Any issues with the proximity to the sink? GFCI? (Tough to find 220V GFCI breakers.)

Larry

Reply to
Larry

If your bathtub is not a spa, your heater and thermostat, regardless of voltage are within NEC requirements, however if the manufacturer has specific installation instructions or requirements like GFCI protection, you must follow them

Reply to
RBM

As local codes can vary the only ones who can tell you for sure will be the local utility or city hall. Get a permit and do it right.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun