Bathroom Drywall

I'm repairing some drywall above a tile shower surround (old house, I'm pretty sure that the base for the tile is lath and some sort of mortar--it's thick and feels very solid) and the only thing "wrong" is that the paper has delaminated from the gypsum board itself. It's still solid, everything looks fine, except for the paper. Now the questions:
1. Do I need to remove/replace, or can I just sand, skim-coat and paint?
2. If I do skim coat, should I just use drywall mud, or is that not waterproof enough? If not, what should I use? I had to buy perlited plaster to fix some other cracks in the real plaster, so I have some.
I'm pretty okay with methods, I'm just not sure of the materials. Thanks for the help.
-Phil Crow
Humm add 3/8th drywall, make the are stable by rigging it up...
Or
Why not just remove the bad area, redrywall it with greanboard and be done with it?
It all depends on if this is your house or someone elses. Do you rent or own. Do you care?
If so the best way would be to rip out and patch it right.
Tom
P.S. I would recommend paint intended for wet areas or a glossy paint.
On Apr 6, 9:51 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On 6 Apr 2007 06:51:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Stabilize the damaged area with a couple of coats of Gardz from Zinsser or an oil based primer. Spackle and sand out. Prime again then finish coat.
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Looks like some 3/8 greenboard and call it a day.
'Preciate the help.
-Phil Crow