bathroom decisions

I have been forced to rip out the tile surrounding my bathtub due to a serious leak up from the tub 30". The water saturated the three (3) layers of sheetrock behind the wall and so I ripped that out as well. The supply pipe to the shower head was loose so I ripped through that sheetrock to secure the pipe. I should replace the tub because it is aqua and chipped (I haven't been able to find the right color patch). I have never done a project like this and will be doing it by myself (I guess I'm a little stubborn). My question: should I install new tile because it will be prettier but potentially quite difficult, or put in a tub surround which would be quicker and easier but not nearly as pleasing to look at? Thanks for your time.

Reply to
friday

buffalobill

Impossible to answer without knowing what the rest of the bathroom looks like, what the rest of the house is like, or what your skill level is.

Tile looks nicer, add value, but is harder to keep clean and much harder to install.

Reply to
trader4

My skill level is novice and the rest of the house and bathroom is in good shape. Can't afford to hire work out and I can figure it out, but it may take some time. My big problem with surrounds is that they are fairly ugly and seem to crack easily.

Reply to
friday

Pick a pretty one with a warranty against cracking. Both problems solved.

Reply to
HeyBub