bathroom decisions

I have been forced to rip out the tile surrounding my bathtub due to a serious leak up from the tub 30". The water saturated the three (3) layers of sheetrock behind the wall and so I ripped that out as well. The supply pipe to the shower head was loose so I ripped through that sheetrock to secure the pipe. I should replace the tub because it is aqua and chipped (I haven't been able to find the right color patch). I have never done a project like this and will be doing it by myself (I guess I'm a little stubborn). My question: should I install new tile because it will be prettier but potentially quite difficult, or put in a tub surround which would be quicker and easier but not nearly as pleasing to look at? Thanks for your time.
Flip a coin?
Suggest you buy a tub with the surrond as part of it as they are thye best way to go seeing you have gone this far friday wrote:

after tearing out the wet walls, you hire the plumber to replace the fixtures and all related pipes. then hire for the wall job. you won't be happy with your results unless this is an unused bathroom and you've got unlimited time and patience.
friday wrote:

buffalobill wrote:

Impossible to answer without knowing what the rest of the bathroom looks like, what the rest of the house is like, or what your skill level is.
Tile looks nicer, add value, but is harder to keep clean and much harder to install.

My skill level is novice and the rest of the house and bathroom is in good shape. Can't afford to hire work out and I can figure it out, but it may take some time. My big problem with surrounds is that they are fairly ugly and seem to crack easily.
friday wrote:

Pick a pretty one with a warranty against cracking. Both problems solved.