Bathroom Ceiling Problem

I have a ceiling in my bathroom that had textured paint on it. There is an exhaust fan that is used everytime i take a shower. After years there were a couple spots where the textured paint feel off. I scraped the whole ceiling. Then i patched the bad areas with joint compound ( there were alot of bad areas ) Then i sanded & primed the ceiling,then painted it. NOW there are alot of areas where the paint is peeling & cracking. How can i fix this without redrying the ceiling ?

Reply to
desgnr

You must scrape the entire ceiling down to remove any loose paint. Then use PRIMER for the first coat!

Reply to
hrhofmann

How long after painting did the peeling appear? How long after joint compound did you wait to paint? Water based primer and paint? Some issues that come to mind are: Wrong primer. Primed too soon after joint compound. Painted too soon after primer. Moisture leak from above. Ceiling wet when primed or painted.

I've done a good deal of painting. When I last painted our master bath, I waited a couple of hours after showering, with exhaust fan running, before I painted. Using alkyd semi, the ceiling was so wet that the brush slid across without leaving any paint. I dried it well with cloth and got another fan to blow it dry completely. All was well after that.

Reply to
norminn

Hi, How is the fan vented. To outside? Sounds to me it is a moisture problem. Without fixing the cause the symptom will repeat.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

First, textured cielings are best left alone as far as possible, in days of yore, these textured finishes often contained asbestos. So make sure you clean up really well now you have disturbed it. Ifit's peeling it may be due to moisture. You need to dehumidify the room to dry the cieling out and then paint immediately. You can hire a dehumidfier if you don't have one.

Reply to
harry

desgnr

desgnr

What were these "bad areas" of which you speak? And what were they in? Drywall? Did you use drying or setting joint compound? What kind of primer?

Reply to
dadiOH

This is not the same paint from 10 years ago is it??

Reply to
Ed Mc

You should have skimmed coated the ENTIRE ceiling with Easysand Setting Type Compound or replaced the sheetrock..The residue left behind from the texture causes problems for whatever reason...BTDT MANY times...HTH...

Reply to
benick

First, textured cielings are best left alone as far as possible, in days of yore, these textured finishes often contained asbestos. So make sure you clean up really well now you have disturbed it. Ifit's peeling it may be due to moisture. You need to dehumidify the room to dry the cieling out and then paint immediately. You can hire a dehumidfier if you don't have one.

It DOES NOT contain asbestos...Your full of it....

Reply to
benick

That is why they sell thin sheetrock, like 3/8 inch or so. Add another layer of rock. If/when I splurge and do a gut job on my main bathroom, I will hire out the rock (because I suck at it), and I will demo the walls but leave the ceiling intact, since it is holding up the blown-in insulation. I'll just have the rock guy add another thin layer over it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers