Bathroom ceiling ideas

I am adding another bathroom to my house I have managed to do a pretty decent job of hanging, sanding and finishing the drywall on the walls. The ceiling is quite another matter. For reasons I won't go into here, I lack the skill of ever getting the ceiling smooth enough for paint.

A good portion of the house is hardwood and softwood paneling. My question is: Could I put tongue and groove paneling on the bathroom ceiling and seal the heck out of it? The room has good ventialtion, but of course, I'm worried about mildew on a wood ceiling. Is there any sealer I could use to prevent the paneling from mildewing?

Thanks in advance. Always enjoy reading this NG.

JB

Personally I believe it is a bad idea, but it can be done, IF you choose the right materials. Don't expect just any material to hold up.

One reason I believe it is a bad idea, is because you seem to think of it, not as your first choice, but as a substitute because you can't do something else. You will always look at it and it will say back to you "HI LOOSER." I also don't think I would like the looks in most situations.

I suggest you go back to the "For reasons I won't go into here, I lack the skill of ever getting the ceiling smooth enough for paint." and resolve that one, but learning or having someone come in and do it for you.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Bite the bullet and hire someone to finish the ceiling. Wood in bathrooms can be a night mare. A friend of mine has a rental that someone decided to do shakes in the bathroom. I went over one day and used the head. The stench from the rotting wood almost knocked me to the floor. We removed the wood, the plaster, and had to clean the studs in the wall. Took over a week of just clean up. Then we had to replace it all with fresh water board. I believe you will be sorry in the long run. It is your home.

Reply to
SQLit

Guys, what about a tin ceiling or something that will be rust resistant? There is also an embossed paper that you can glue on and then paint over, should you wish, and which I suggest, with a good bathroom paint that has a fungicide in it (I think I have the right word but do some checking). Yeah, you could bring someone in, but don't admit defeat until you try every last option!! I like Joe's point about being reminded about being a loser, but you can have your ceiling say that or your wallet: it still hurts!

Reply to
edee em

Guilty as charged! Time was I could have done the ceiling. But now, I can't. I have vertigo and can't stomach looking straight up ----as this task will require--- for more, than, let's see ... one onethousand , two onethousand three onethousand four onethousand, before it all goes whirling. Last year they did some surgery on my brainstem and well there it is. But your, and a similar post speak from the wiser angels of my nature that this is a lame ass idea. The ceiling dimensions are 8' x 12'. Assuming, since it hardly seems like a big job, I could get someone to finish this out for me, what should that cost, ready to paint, in N. Metro Atlanta?

Sorry to hear about the problem.

Do you have some friends or relatives that might help? In any case, I don't have the price, but if you measure the size of the room and can give some description of what is the condition of what is there now to a pro in your area, they should be able to give you a price. I would not expect it to be too high.

BTW putting up that wood ceiling would not get around your problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan