Bathroom being gutted and redone with new tile, shower etc.. should I use epoxy grout?

Hi, I will have my bathroom totally gutted out... Old tile mud job will be gutted... Is it necessary to use epoxy grout in the shower??? Thanks KOS

Reply to
KOS

No. The only time epoxy grout is absolutely required is when using certain natural stone tile. Some tile, notably Chinese green marble, absorbs water from the thinset and/or grout, and will curl.

Use standard latex/polymer modified grout.

RicodJour

No. I got excellent results from Prism grout.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Vote me with Bob. We used epoxy and have no regrets. It stays very clean. Tile guys don't like it because it is hard to install but they are not the one cleaning it.

Reply to
gfretwell

*It was more expensive and more work to install than other grouts when I redid my master bath. However, epoxy grout never needs sealing and is very durable. I would do it again. I know one tile guy that refuses to use it because it is more work.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I did it on tiled kitchen counter tops and also, went up the wall to the upper cabinets. It was really hard to do, but doable. I divided each of the 2 parts into 4, by weight and did 1/4 at a time. It did do well for wear. I don't think I removed enough material when cleaning up the curing grout. Those higher spots, scuffed from things like tin cans, etc. and would never come clean. This happened in the 1st area that was done. I learned how much to remove as I went on. I should have started in an inconspicuous place. BTW, the new owners of the house said they were going to remove the tile and put down plastic laminate .... yuck!

Reply to
Art Todesco

If you go with epoxy make sure the installer knows what he is doing. Any grout left on the surface of the tile will be nearly impossible to remove and it will be rough and catch soil.

Reply to
Ed

Reply to
Michael B