Bath vent fan questions

I have three pics of my fan with the cover off.

This is in the eaves of the house, so there's no access (it's a first floor bathroom with this fan in the ceiling venting out the overhang on the house, with a shower above this area on the second floor). There's no way to get at it from above, so the only access I have is what you see in the pictures, cover off and motor handy.

I'm trying to determine, since the fan is just so noisy, what the easiest thing would be for me to do. It almost looks as if I could remove the whole unit, fan blades and shroud and motor, from the sides where it's attached. But is that possible or preferable? Would I be better trying to just replace the motor? I could probably end up with a quieter motor, but would that really make much of a noise difference if the fan is just not designed to move air quietly?

I'd prefer not to have to redo drywall up here - I've got limited drywall experience and would probably not have it looking as good as the original ceiling around it.

Any suggestions? I have three of these in the house, one in each bathroom, and would like to have a little more quiet when they're on. The only one I can get at from above is the one on the second floor, the only one I never use...

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

ftp://bath:fan@216.114.5.114/fan1.jpg

ftp://bath:fan@216.114.5.114/fan2.jpg

ftp://bath:fan@216.114.5.114/fan3.jpg

P.S. FTP is behind a firewall doing NAT, so passive mode settings may be an issue for some users depending on their network setup.

Reply to
john

The easiest thing is to go to home depot and purchase 3 new fans. They're cheap and they're easy to replace.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Thanks for the quick (real quick!) reply. Will they fit into the little sheet metal box that's framed in there as long as I get one of the same dimensions? I just don't want to have to do anything that will involve redoing the sheetrock on the ceiling.

Thanks again!

John

Reply to
john

Panasonic makes one of the quietest units, but the bearings may be bad and a oiled motor or new motor may be all you need. If it is a brand carried localy you may be able to remove the unit and have an easy replacement without any tearing up of your ceiling. They should come out from below.

Reply to
m Ransley