Bath tub repair

I need to replace the lever(over flow plate) http://www.hometips.com/content/popups_intro.html
that allows the tub to drain,its wore out.
I bought the replacement at a big box store, there are two screws that hold the overflow plate to the tub but I am afraid that I will twist them off removing them, and don't want to have to replace the whole drain mechanism. The old screws are tight, I need a big screwdriver with vice grips attached to the screwdriver for leverage.
Any ideas?
thanks Tom

Try some liquide wrench or a socket screwdriver as they usauly work well .

PB-Blaster is a good penetrating oil.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

be careful with heat if the drain foot for lack of better term is plastic
assume if things go bad you will be replacing parts under the tub:(
bad things like screw snaps off, head rounds out, all sorts of devils in this job.