Bath tub Liner vs. Reglazing

Hi, Our main bathroom tub suffered a damage by falling object creating chipped away glazing. Bathroom overall(vanity, toilet, floor, tile walls) being in very good shape, I am wondering if I can have the tub relined with acrylic molded form or have it reglazed. Any opinions between this two options or do I need a new tub. TIA,

Tony,
I had my tub reglazed over 5 years ago and it was $350. 5 years have gone by and it still looks brand new. I too had a chip in a prominant location on the edge of my tub - the repair guy used a bondo-like substance and sanded it smooth to match the contours of the surrounding surface. the chipped spot dissapeared - about the size of a quarter - and the glazing still looks great. The whole process took about 4 hours. Not sure about the acrylic option as I have not seen that done before.
Good luck!
Djay

to add more;you need to exercise care when cleaning a refinished tub. No abrasive cleaners,no bleaches.(causes yellowing in epoxy finishes) "Tough as Tile" recommends Simple Green as a cleaner.
I've read that the urethane finishes don't have the yellowing problem.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Tony Hwang | 2009-06-19 | 11:25:35 PM wrote:

The liners can leak around the drain, letting water between the liner and the tub. One I used at a motel was so bad I thought I was standing on a waterbed.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I've had similar experiences when staying at remodeled hotels. I would avoid the liner idea if at all possible.

We had the tub refinished in our hall bath. It lasted about five years and was not very expensive to do at that time. I finally re-did the bathroom last year and got a new tub and tile. I got estimates on those shower liners/tub liners and they cost more than having a new tub installed with new ceramic tile. Don't know how long they last, but the estimated cost were a lot higher.

the liners were originally designed for hotels, to get a few more years out of older tubs, delaying gutting the bathroom
nothing you choose is perfect