bath tub drain

I just moved into a new place. The water backs up after a bit when showering. I hate standing in dirty water. I gave it 4 doses of lye over 3 days. It's a tiny bit better but it still backs up. Is this something a plumber can fix easily? Thanks for any advise, Bonnie
I just moved into a new place. The water backs up after a bit when showering. I hate standing in dirty water. I gave it 4 doses of lye over 3 days. It's a tiny bit better but it still backs up. Is this something a plumber can fix easily? Thanks for any advise, Bonnie

Does the basin also back up? How about the kitchen sink? What about the toilet? If they all back up and don't empty freely it's time to call the plumber and get him to put his eeel down the drains. Do you have trees on the property? Maybe their roots have gotten into the drains!
rosebud wrote:

I would suggest checking to see if you can remove the stopper and see if there is hair caught in some part of the drain that is blocking the draining. I suggest not using lye. Some plumbing parts don't like it and it seldom really fixes the problem.
You may be able to clean it out right there, or you may need to "snake" it out. You can purchase a small "snake" make for that use. However they can be a little tricky to use in a tub drain.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I'd suggest trying a plunger. It may not work, but it might, and is quick and easy. Fill tub, blocking drain if necessary. Block overflow with duct tape, or stuff wet rag into it. Unblock main drain, put plunger over it, then pull plunger with short, sharp strokes for a minute or two, alterenating pulling and pushing, really, but more pulling. I've cleared a few like this, but wear boots if you don't like standing in dirty water, because you will be..