Bath Paint OK for Front Door?

I had a new entry door installed on the front of my house last winter and have not gotten around to painting the outside yet. It is a basic steel entry door, faces north on a covered porch, no direct sun, storm door in front, rarely if ever gets hit by rain, southeast Michigan. I just finished painting the bathroom ceiling with Lowes American Tradition Kitchen and Bath semi-gloss white and have a half quart left over. Would this hold up on the front door application? I'm not worried about moisture as the bathroom ceiling will see much more than the front door ever will. The cold winter would be my concern. I would really like to avoid adding another 1/2 quart of paint to my ever growing basement collection.

Reply to
tev9999

Interior paint is typically not suitable for exterior use.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I'd do a bit of research into the idea of spraying the door. Obviously, there are some minor logistical issues involved, but not much different than trying to paint the door when temps are chilly. Did it come with the usual grey primer?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If it's latex paint I would not use it on an exterior door.

Reply to
scott21230

Right. I wasn't clear about that. I'd go out and buy spray paint of the proper type. It's not all the time that you have a chance to move an object to just the right place for painting, and take your time doing it. He could end up with a really nice finish. The only issue would be the weather. He'd have to start really early in the day so the paint goes through one drying cycle before he's got to install it again before bedtime. Or, build a temporary door out of plywood. Or...wait until spring.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

Dunno about you, but I'd have no problem using *exterior* latex on an exterior door. In fact, I just did for a customer of mine last week (at her request and with her paint).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

What's wrong with exterior latex paint? The paint store I use recommends it over oil because it has better UV characteristics.

Reply to
krw