bath fitter

Has anyone here ever had a bath fitter installed. They are an acrylic tub which fits inside your existing steel tub and acrylic walls are installed over existing walls. Are they worth looking into?

Reply to
habbi

We had it done at our last house. They goofed the first time in measuring and had to remeasure. The finished job was very nice. I had no complaints.

Reply to
coustanis

I never had and probably never will just because I am

SICK AND TIRED OF THEIR COMMERCIALS!!!!!!!

RUB-A-DUB-DUB MY BUTT!!!!

(sorry......just had to rant a little....)

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

They do a very quick job. It's fine for a plastic tub and enclosure. It's not cheap

Reply to
RBM

I had it done. $3000 cdn in toronto. I would NEVER have them do any work for me again. Shoddy workmanship. Material is not solid. and it took 6 months of calls to get the ceiling part to be stuck on right. The wall parts you can buy yourself at HD. and stick them on better than they do. you have the time to do the job right. the installer just wants to leave.

the tub part looks Ok but the cost is way too high. next time i will investigate the tub refinishers. and the only reason to do this is if you have to have the job done quick. in my own house i would change everything for new. a lot cheaper and better. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick

The job we had done was neat, clean, fast and as professional as you can get with a plastic tub and enclosure. Ours came to $7000 Keep in mind that these are franchises and you can run into bums like "thehick" did, or just pay through the nose like we did

Reply to
RBM

"or just pay through the nose like we did " Maybe I got a bad franchise. But $7000!! Even what I paid is way too much. I did another bathroom in my own house but it took me far too long. That's why I thought I'd try this route. Next time I'll just do it myself. I could hire some felllows for cash and get it done quickly too. Needs some planning tho. Thanks for sharing your experience. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick

Do you mean $700???

I hope that was a typo because if you paid $7,000, you are CRAZY!!!

I could have the entire bathroom gutted and then have all new fixtures AND a Jacuzzi tub installed for that price!

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

No, I said seven thousand. This job may have been a little more elaborate as it was set up with "extras" for a ninety seven year old man, the existing enclosure was tile over cement making the little demo that they had to do, more difficult and the franchise we delt with was backed up for three months and we needed the job done both immediately and in one day. We got both... and paid for it!!!

Reply to
RBM

Damn! Can I wash your car or rake your leaves????

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I damaged my tub by letting a wet foam rubber cushion rest against it for months. (The tub was incrediby uncomforable before I made the cushion, and I thought a bath tub was invulnerable to water.)

I was driving down the street in an industrial area and noticed the Bathfitters place, so I went in. The price was high, especially since I hadn't gotten around to trying the two part epoxy bathtub paint/orwhatevert I had bought.

When, in order to leave, I said I would think about it, or something like that, or maybe before then, he asked my address, and said he had customers in my very n'hood (100 homes) and that he could lower the price by 500 dollars or maybe it was more. My bathroom isn't any easier than anyone else's so I'm wondering, are they just going to accept less profit, or are they going to rush through, figuring "poor" people don't complaijn so much. If I asked him, Does that mean you'll take less time?, of course he'll say no. Anyhow, if you do do it, you can dicker and save some money.

I looked at his tubs in the warehouse behind the showroom. They were very pretty.

I only planned to get the tub, and continue to use the wall tile I have now.

I also realized I would lose 1/2 inch or more, and my original problem is that my tub is almost too short. Even a half inch might make a difference to me. So when I have a good day, I'm going to try the eposy stuff on the area that is about 20 inches long, by 2 inches. I hope I can put it on thin enough.

Like any franchise, the quality can vary a lot, and I would want to see bathrooms where it had been done lately, and talk to the owners of those houses. I think most such people would be happy to show you. Of course they won't give you the names of people who were dissatisfied, so I don't how one weighs that.

mm

Money talks. If you have enough money, that's a very good thing.

I feel that way every time I buy a candy bar or take-out Chinese. I got the money!

mm

I think these bath fitter placfes charge to much for something that's questionable to begin with. I'm just going to rip out my surround myself, and the tiles then pay a contractor to replace the tub and do the rest myself at my leisure.

Reply to
scott21230

scott21230