Bath fan

I want to replace a bath fan with one that has an automatic humidstat. To do this, the fan requires three wires - white, black, and red. This will allow the fan to be turned on manual or automatically. I only have a white and black with the current fan. I need the red wire. Can I:

Just run a third single red wire

or

Do I need to feed a separate three wire set to the fan (take out old two wire)

Thanks

Reply to
superboiler

You must run all the circuit conductors together, so it's probably easiest to remove the two wire cable and run a three wire up from the switch

Reply to
RBM