Bat suggestions

Louisville Slugger, or learn to live with the ole bat...

Reply to
G Henslee

Our standard is an old tennis racket. It's relatively "transparent" to bat radar. No need to knock it down. Don't wave it around. Move the racket into bat flight path quickly. The bat often will hang from the racket and can be carried outside.

They are fascinating animals and beneficial to the environment, eating insects. TB

Reply to
tbasc

That's what they say about Kanter. I dunno. Jury's still out on that one...

Reply to
G Henslee

Build it a better house:

William.Deans

This was our second year for collecting data on bat houses installed in conjunction with exclusion. Again, the occupancy rate was very high,

89% (73 of 82), indicating their usefulness as a management tool. Because displaced bats need new homes, it makes sense to install bat houses in advance where possible to avoid "passing the problem on to the neighbors." For more information about exclusion, please contact BCI. A new "Bats in Buildings" booklet and Internet-based document with updated instructions will soon be available (see
The large number of houses with maternity or winter use is encouraging (Table 1). Bats either overwintered or used houses all year in California,

William.Deans

Friend came back from vacation to a call from alarm service. When she got home she found a "bird" making bump noises in her house, at night. I think it is a bat.

Local cops suggested she use a broom to help it leave. Any other ideas?

TIA

Lou

Reply to
Lou

If you are fortunate, the broom may help, but I thing you'd do better trying to catch it than shoo it. I was able to know down a bat using a pot lid. Tennis racket may be good too. This was in the hallway at 2:00 AM. Doors open, but made no difference. Once knocked down, I was able to trap it in the pot and release it outside.

VERY IMPORTANT. Find and seal the entrance or it will come back.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A fishing net works well, especially at 2 AM Tom .

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Call Ozzy Osborne. He eats the damn things.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I have only had one inside and the tennis racket worked. It got in by accident and it seemed happy to be outside.

My son had one that took up residence between the storm window and the inside window of his bedroom. They keep each other company for about a year. Nice pet, you don't need to feed it and it eat stuff you don't want around.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

unless they are vampire bats.

Reply to
joe

-> Friend came back from vacation to a call from alarm service.

-> When she got home she found a "bird" making bump noises in her house, at

-> night.

-> I think it is a bat.

->

-> Local cops suggested she use a broom to help it leave. Any other ideas?

We used to get several bats a year in the old Wal-Mart store here in town. (We have a new SuperCenter now.)

I had a very heavy-weight pair of leather gloves I kept in my locker for their visits. I'd just wait until they landed somewhere, approach them very slowly, grab onto them, hold them securely, and carry them outside to release them.

Bats are actually a protected species in a lot of places, and are very beneficial because they eat so many insects -- especially mosquitoes -- each night.

Reply to
Suzie-Q