basin wrench can't remove rusted bolts under sink

I assume you have already tried WD-40 and/or the other products that can help break rusted connection. Then it would be time to pull the sink and get it to an area that you can work on it.

Reply to
SQLit

You talking about the nuts that go around the faucet supply stems? Cut the lines with a Dremel and cutoff disk as close as you can, then a deep socket and extension.

Or just cut the nuts, too. Barring that, take the sink off the wall and then work on it...

Reply to
Rick

What alternatives do I have for removing rusted, frozen bolts in a very tight space in the underside of my 1906 porcelain sink? I need to replace the supply lines and faucets to this beauty, but I can't get the bolts off with my basin wrench! I can't get purchase or space to actually wrench. Please guide me to other tools or techniques, short of paying a plumber $32 to enter my house and then charge me whatever the rate would be for the job. Thanks.

Reply to
KLS

I wasn't sure what a basin wrench looked like, so I googled and found this, which has an extendable handle. Would this help by getting your hands below the bottom of the sink so you can get some more force into it?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If you need a lot of torque use a 1/2" drive heavy duty crowsfoot wrench with a beaker bar - go easy or you could rip the sink off the wall.

A torch always work on rusted nuts - just a little heat will do.

Reply to
Fred

YES!!!

Cut

Great idea; I will try that pronto. I'll also use another poster's suggestion to try Liquid Wrench (he actually suggested WD40, but I get the concept) to try to free up the rust a bit first. If that fails, I'll try your other suggestion:

Thanks for the suggestions, truly. I'll cancel the plumber appt. now. :)

Reply to
KLS

Concur with the Dremel. This is your best friend when things get stubborn 'up under there'. Fiberglass-reinforced cutoff wheel.

You want genuine eye protection for this one, though. You won't have the greatest control of that Dremel in awkward positions.

Reply to
Robert Barr