basic wireing

I am installing a whirlpool tub and am running a new circuit for the pump. I am installing a metal electrical box inside the tub surround and hooking up a GFI receptacle.Do I hook the ground wire to the receptacle (it has a screw for ground) or do I attach the ground to the electrical box and then to the receptacle?

Thanks

Reply to
trexxxmeister

You connect the ground conductor to the box and then to the receptacle. Since you're using a metal box, you need to bond the box to the motor and any metal water pipes near or associated with the tub, as well as any other support equipment that came bonded together, using a #8 solid conductor

Reply to
RBM

If you mount a GFCI receptacle inside the tub surround, how are you going to access it for testing and reseting in necessary? Other then that I agree with RBM.

Reply to
Eric9822

If you mount a GFCI receptacle inside the tub surround, how are you going to access it for testing and reseting in necessary? Other then that I agree with RBM.

Many new tubs come with very short cord and plugs on them, so you install the outlet next to the plug, accessible through the access hatch

Reply to
RBM

I guess that makes sense. Thanks.

Reply to
Eric9822

I guess that makes sense. Thanks.

You can do it another way, like John Grabowski suggested on a previous, similar post. Install a standard outlet under the tub, protected by a faceless GFCI, installed in a more accessible location

Reply to
RBM