Basic Submersible Pump Info

I recently, with the help of a friend in the water biz, changed an old

1HP jet pump out for a 1HP Submersible (2-wire 240/1-phase). I want great pressure and volume from my more efficient submersible. I have a bladder storage tank (about 1-year old) about 18 inches in diameter x 55 inches high.

I have been setting the pressure at 20-40 but find that I would like more pressure in the house. I do water the lawn and small garden in the Summer, but for the most part, I just bathe and wash clothes during the rest of the year.

Also...I travel as a sales person and I want to know how to protect myself against having a pipe burst and then have my well running for hours and hours until I come home.

I am told that in my area (Gridley, Butte County, CA) that there is ample water, so I don't think I would run the pump dry.

What is the high tech stuff available.

Another thing... I would like to have an LED indicator in the house when the pump is running. The circuit breaker is inside the home and there is a secondary fused switch disconnect in the home as well. Is there a way to switch an LED on when there is current flow? Many thanks Peter

Reply to
EIEIO123

A 1HP pump should supply an apartment complex! It sounds like your pressure tank is large enough (Is it an Amtrol WX-350?) but the pressure is set very low. AFTER you check to be sure the tank and the control are rated for the higher pressure, you should set it to 40-60 pounds, or so.

Reply to
BP

Good idea to have protection against flooding and/or pump running excessively.

It's not a simple problem, so you need to look at it a while.

Easiest step is to get a pressure switch with a low-press cutoff. If tank pressure falls below some setpoint, the power will be cut off until manually reset. This assumes that a flood/break will drop tank pressure enough to trigger.

You can set up flood detectors in likely areas (like basement) which can be wired into a pump controller.

Easiest way to monitor pump running is to pick up the 240V on the Load side of the existing pressure switch (going TO motor). (Or one side plus the Neutral if available to give 120V.) Even simpler is to slip a small toroidal current transformer over one of the leads to the motor. The output of the xfmr is isolated from Line and can power an LED . (BTDT)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

We have a similar installation. with the pressure switch set to 40-60 PSI. That required a change in the captive air tank static air pressure. Check with your well installer. I switch the breaker off un-plug the pilotless hot water tank and shut the house valve when we go away.

Reply to
TH