Basic Return Air Heating Question

I work in a large sized office room and I have a question. During the heating season, usually, it gets hotter than hell in here, but on days when it does feel comfortable to me, everyone else is cold. The Room is roughly 100 feet by 50 feet. Everywhere else in the room has better "air flow" with the outside surroundings, so I don't think that people get as hot as I do. There are six ceiling vents that the heat comes from. I am located in the only corner where there is no exits. The vent above me is off, but it still gets way too damned hot, the other vents are on. There are two return air vents, one is by me and one is in the other corner of the room. If I block my return air vent will it help me out by cooling my area down? It seems like the heat from every else just gets sucked to my area and will not let up! Is this ok to try or could it cause a major problem? Thanks.
[...]
Try this for a day or two; just put a piece of newspaper over the return air vent - the suction will hold it. It probably will make you more comfortable.
No One wrote:

And, unless you're the owner/partner, be prepared to be bitched at when they see it. Use it to make a point. Thermometer readings are always good evidence, as is aking the boss to stop by when it's hottest there and cooler elsewhere.
Pop
| Try this for a day or two; just put a piece of newspaper over the return | air vent - the suction will hold it. It probably will make you more | comfortable. | | No One wrote: | | > I work in a large sized office room and I have a question. During the | > heating season, usually, it gets hotter than hell in here, but on days | > when it does feel comfortable to me, everyone else is cold. The Room | > is roughly 100 feet by 50 feet. Everywhere else in the room has better | > "air flow" with the outside surroundings, so I don't think that people | > get as hot as I do. There are six ceiling vents that the heat comes | > from. I am located in the only corner where there is no exits. The | > vent above me is off, but it still gets way too damned hot, the other | > vents are on. There are two return air vents, one is by me and one is | > in the other corner of the room. If I block my return air vent will it | > help me out by cooling my area down? It seems like the heat from every | > else just gets sucked to my area and will not let up! Is this ok to | > try or could it cause a major problem? Thanks. | >
Oh I am prepared. The main problem is the darn women here are so cold blooded. My thermometer here usually reads at least 75 during the winter and sometimes reaches 79. For some reason the heat during the winter bothers me more than if it were 80 degrees in the summer. The women wear sweaters and are cold but I am in a short sleeve and hot.
Pop wrote:

---------------- Can you swap desks with one of the lizards?
Sounds like you need to lose some weight.

No One wrote:

Blocking air returns and vents is usually a poor idea.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Talk to the boss, and see if he will pop for a "rebalancing" of the system.
My former company did this, and the heating company came out, and measured the air flow from all the vents, and made appropriate (and requested) changes from the various office occupants.
In a big system, like a multi story building, each vent will have a damper in the ductwork, that will control things. I've no idea what the cost was, but it helped the office environment to no end.