Basic pluming question please!

Dear NG, I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth floor. In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same "main drain" and get routed down from there.
Question, what is the professional name for the "main drain"? . The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term for it please.
Thanks in advance!
slakka

If you mean the vertical pipe that the various drains wye into, it is typially referred to as the "soil stack".

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1621s.jpg
Confused, this diagram refers to the toilet as the soil stack- bathroom sink as the waste stack?

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1621s.jpg
Confused, this diagram refers to the toilet as the soil stack- bathroom sink as the waste stack?
http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/construction/plumbing/Sanitary-Plumbing/images/Cellar-Plan-Of-Plumbing-For-Residence.jpg
Confused here as well. Around the midwest it's called the main stack?
Rich

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/construction/plumbing/Sanitary-Plumbing/images/Cellar-Plan-Of-Plumbing-For-Residence.jpg
around here in Maine it is refered to as the "main"..HTH....

Look in the bottom right corner of that diagram - it explains the difference.
"the stack"..will work. By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here for $ 35.00 hr. Whats the rate there ?

"Rudy" wrote

47$ here.

Still not too bad. I "heard" that in NY a good plumber gets the hourly equivalent of a surgeon..The difference is apparently, is that you can GET a surgeon if you need one.

The plumber I used for years was getting $100/hour when he retired last year. He turned the reins over to his nephew and they're now charging $135/hr. I'm looking for another plumber.

Considering what a leek is, I'd say sabatoge!

http://www.webwanderers.org/images/LEEK.JPG
Red Green wrote:

You have some big leeks there! Call a gardener or cook to fix them.
TDD