Basic plumbing knowledge needed!

I am just starting a home-improvement job, replacing all my copper plumbing with plastic, and I can't proceed until I know one simple little thing. Hoping someone will see and answer my question.

Outside the house is a white one-inch pipe coming out of the ground from the well. I cut off the top below where the old brass and copper fittings and pipe were attached, and now I am going to attach a new plastic fitting with a shut-off valve in it, so I can shut off the water to the house if necessary without shutting off the spigots at the barn and the well house.

I know I am supposed to use the purple cleaner and some glue, but the problem is I have never done this before.... I wanted to first of all make sure the fitting will fit onto the one-inch pipe, so I pushed one end of it down onto to pipe. It fits, but it was extremely tight and very hard to move. I could not get it to go all the way on, to where the cut end of the pipe reaches all the way in. I removed the fitting from the pipe with great difficulty. It almost required a hammer to get it off of there.

What I need to know is this: Is it OK to hammer a plastic fitting onto a pipe? I suppose a block of wood between it and the hammer head would help. But what really bothers me is the fact that if the thing is this difficult to push onto the pipe without any glue, maybe it will be impossible *with* the glue? Or does the purple cleaner make it "slippery" and maybe easier to get one there?

I am afraid I will wreck the whole pipe and really have a mess if I do one small thing wrong. There's only a few inches of this pipe that could still be cut off for a 2nd try, and I don't want to wreck the fitting, it was not cheap and getting another one requires a trip to town and back, over 40 miles.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Reply to
Pat

I am by no means an expert in PVC, but the best thing about it - I have found - is how easy and cheap it is to fix your mistakes.

Of course, you do want to dry fits first. And the pieces are engineered to very close tolerances, but a little elbow grease is good, and I think you'll be just fine.

If anything, I might be concerned with the outdoor PVC application. Check your codes to see if that's OK. But, again, I am by no means an expert in these areas.

Hope that helps....

Reply to
ng_reader

snipped-for-privacy@fidnet.com (Pat) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The solvent (not the cleaner) will soften the plastic pipe and the fitting so that they will go together fairly easily. When dry, the fittings should be tight, otherwise they won't form a tight bond when the solvent softens them. I would recommend you get some extra pipe and fittings (they're cheap), and try a few trial runs to gain some experience and confidence in the process. And read the directions on the solvent can.

Reply to
Richard

It will slide on more easily with the glue (must do it quickly though).

You may want to practice with some scrap pipe and fittings if you've never used it before...

John

Reply to
John W

Replacing copper and brass with PVC doesn't sound like an improvement, unless the copper is leaking. And I would use schedule 80 PVC anywhere it will be exposed to sunlight. But that's not what you asked about.

The fittings go easier when you put the glue on them. The purple primer and the glue both dissolve the plastic a little, plus the glue is slippery; the joints usually slide together easily as long as you work fast.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Thanks Richard, for the quick reply!

I wasn't sure I would even need the glue if they fit so tightly together. But I guess when under pressure it would leak without the glue.

"Richard" wrote

Reply to
Golden Girl