basic plumbing--drains

I am renovating my bathroom.I want to move my bathtub about 6 feet out from the wall. My intention is to just tie the new drain into the old line where it ties into the main stack draining down into the basement. Is there a problem with this?I also want to build a seperate walk in shower basically where the bathtub presently is.My intention is to tie the shower drain into the new bathtub line before it ties into the main stack.Is there a problem with this?This is the first time I have attempted any plumbing and any advice would be appreciated. Brent

Reply to
brent

There are "points" for each fixture and after adding the points the minimum size drain is determined. Your local plumbing codes may require a separate vent for the shower drain unless these are very close together. I found local plumbing codes at the local library in the reference section.

Reply to
Phisherman

"brent" wrote

I'll take a shot at this. I've seen something a bit like it before.

The short version is yes, you can. You have to raise the tub up a bit so as to get a good angle on the drain pipe down to the existing drain you use now. If yours is one of the footed type of tubs, it will be pretty easy. If it's flush to the floor, you are going to have to raise it a bit or you will have problems with clogged pipes all the time.

Whats not clear is the 6ft line and just how you will hide it or whatever, so you dont trip over it. It would depend on the placement of things in your bathroom and with no picture, I cant tell.

How about tie the new shower directly to the existing drain then port the tub line over to drain into the shower discretely? You can even use a pretty polished brass end for that, flush to the shower wall.

I'm Navy and have seen some pretty unique ways on ships to pipe water off-flows to gravity drains. The main problem is to make sure you do not create a trip hazard.

Reply to
cshenk

For what it's worth...

Years ago, before I had attempted any major plumbing, I was replacing a shower stall in a basement bathroom and had to move the drain. I opened up the floor to expose the pipes and then asked some friends who they liked as a plumber. I got a name and offered him $25 to stop by on his way home some night just to tell how to route the new PVC and connect it to the existing cast iron. He told me everything I needed to know in about 15 minutes and only took $20. It was well worth the money - one of the few plumbing jobs where it took just one trip to the store to get what I needed!

Another time I paid an electrician $40 to explain some very confusing wiring to me. He opened up a switch box that contained three 3-way switches, poked around inside and said "What the f__k?!?". I knew right then it was money well spent!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What you are proposing will work fine. The biggest problem you'll have is all the replies you'll get here telling you otherwise.

S. Barker