Basic Grounding Wire Question in Receptacle Box - Please Help.

It's common practice on bare copper grounds to just twist them together, and then trap one or both under the screw - but that doesn't work with the stranded and insulated ground.

Reply to
clare

clare

I remember back in the day taking receptacles out and just finding the grounds spliced as normal but with no wire nut at all, just wires twisted together. I always thought that was a little cheezy, was that acceptable by code at one point in time, or was I just looking at shoddy work?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Unless you are using steel or brass switchplates...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

In the US it is not acceptable to put 2 wires under a screw. It is also not acceptable to twist ground wires and not use a wire nut. Far as I know neither has ever been code compliant.

Shoddy work.

Reply to
bud--

Metal switch plates is the reason the ground requirement was added. A ground wire is required with plastic boxes.

Reply to
bud--

AFAIK it is still acceptable on bare copper ground wires.

Reply to
clare

And you like almost burning your fingers on the plate - - - - - - . The metal box acts as an enlarged heat sink

Reply to
clare

I don't believe canada was ever that backward.

Reply to
bud--