Basic Grounding Wire Question in Receptacle Box - Please Help.

Page 2 of 2

Nate Nagel wrote:

It is unlikely any of the existing wires is long enough to easily use a "greenie wirenut".
RBMs original post was "proper" - a switch with a metal strap can be grounded with the normal 2 screws if the box is metal and grounded. RBM provided a code reference - look it up.
RBM's 2nd method - second ground screw - is probably easier than any of the other options.

Correct - you can't reliably put 2 wires on one screw.

If I was using a wire nut to connect the switch ground wire, I might use one of these and an ordinary wire nut.
Or more likely, use a scrap piece of bare wire and the existing ground screw and an ordinary wire nut.
Here's a "greenie"

http://www.idealindustries.com/products/wire_termination/twist-on/wing-nut_greenie.jsp

Never used one, but I believe you leave one of the wires much longer and it sticks out through a hole in the end of the wirenut.
In any case, IMHO a wire sticking out the end makes the wire nut much harder to stuff back into the box. Why not use an ordinary wire nut?
--
bud--

<stuff snipped>
<As an FYI to all, I was just privately email another suggestion which was to use one of these; a "grounding pigtail". - See link attached. What are your thoughts about this. I guess it does the exact same thing as the greenie. (Amazon.com product link shortened)

I looked up the URL just for grins:
"The Raco Insulated Solid Wire with 6-inch Long Ground Screw provides a safe electrical path to the ground to help prevent electrical shock. The 6-inch long grounding screw is threaded into the box to provide a means of fastening the ground conductor."
I have my doubts if that ground screw is really six inches long even though they say it is - twice!
-- Bobby G.

That's gonna cause a problem in a typical wall stick-built with 2x4s...
nate
wrote in message news:295451d0-

greenie.(Amazon.com product link shortened) 0...
safe
though
That's gonna cause a problem in a typical wall stick-built with 2x4s...
nate
Ubetcha. What really surprised me is that they didn't give the diameter of the pigtail, a far more meaningful detail than the alleged length of the ground screw.
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:36:24 -0700 (PDT), Pinboozie

Boy, is THAT an over-priced solution!!!!!!

Except on some switches where the mounting tab is NOT connected to the "ground". Still, on a switch, the ground is not terribly important. Some lighted switches will not light without the ground connected- apparently. A Lutron DV103P, and a Lutron DV100P, when installed in a plastic (non-grounded) box, and the green wire not connected to ground, does not light up. The green wire on it is simply resistance welded to the tab (which is also the heat sink - should really NEVER be installed on a non-metallic box)
On 06/04/2010 09:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Unless you are using steel or brass switchplates...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Metal switch plates is the reason the ground requirement was added. A ground wire is required with plastic boxes.
--
bud--

And you like almost burning your fingers on the plate - - - - - - . The metal box acts as an enlarged heat sink