BASF Walltite?

Does anyone have any experiences to share with this product? Positive or negative?

It sounds like a fantastic product...R6 per inch, which makes a 2x6 stud wall about R33 (instead of R20 with fiberglass batt insulation). Structural support. No vapour barrier required. Resistant to mold. Fills in all gaps (unlike batt insulation), so minimal air leakage. Etc. etc.

I just got a quote done up for my basement (92 linear feet @ R24). Total came to about $2700 (installed). An 'equivalent' fiberglass/XPS installation would cost about $1300 in raw materials, and I would lose about 10 square feet due to added wall thickness.

Does anyone think that the additional cost (2x) is justified?

Here's a link to a local company that supplies the product:

David Bonnell

thyhomesprayfoam.com/

Is that finished to paint with drywall. Is it a below grade, if there are moist walls you will have mold you need to know about leaks and moisture. Foam off gasses, for how long or how much and if it can make you sick is real hard to find out info on, remember UFFI that ruined houses, There are water base foams of 5R " that I dont think offgass. Its a good product GE foam is R7, for pricing you need to get bids, for health concerns you need to research it. With oil up foams price wont get any cheaper.

Reply to
ransley

Not all foams off gas. Don't make assumptions based on hearsay. Get facts

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The payback will be very quick the way oil prices are going up. One way or another I'd get the extra insulation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Facts from WHERE, who, not from the foam manufacturers, I put in a whole basement and covered a house of non offgassing foil faced foamboard from Dow that made me very sick in a month, Just installing it got me and a contractor messed up a bit. I googled, I called, I heard it was fine from Dow.

How many years did UFFI go in until it was banned and everyone said it was ok, I had that crap too. Remember people removed siding to remove UFFI, If you had a UFFI house it would not sell, remember that. Water base probably offgasses in a few days, but Poly products? I gues it depends on what is in them. What goes into alot of products is nasty stuff, untested, unproven. The Amoco lab in Chicago was closed down years ago after something like 11 of their best scientists got cancer, my worked for Amoco and I visited this lab. What we make today we often find is tomorrows poison. Amine? Catylyst is in some foams and what I have heard is its bad stuff.

Reply to
ransley