BasePump, was Space limitations on back up sump pump.

From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley):

If you have city water not well water a better option is a water powered >pump
or
water powered will outperform >a battery unit in most every way, there is no comparison on an extended >power failure, water powered wins. I would not use one discharge use 2. >Your present pump may be restricted and get improved output by raising >it a foot to reduce head, and increasing output pipe size. If your sump >lid wont work make one , or cut new holes or buy one you can cut and >modify. Remember batteries last 5-7 years, will you remember to test and >replace them before they go bad,

Absolutely not. I have enough trouble remembering to mow my lawn, and

100 other things. But I always go into these projects thinking I've changed.
to test a battery properly you need to >do a load test, something few homeowners can do as the test equipment is >expensive.

I think you've convinced me**.

Just a couple questions:

The current sump pump output has mortar or cement around the exit pipe. Would it work as well for this 3/4 inch pipe if I just used the aerosol insulation they sell for filling cracks?

Can I use PEX pipe for the output? It seems like it bends and that would make running the pipe easier.

I can't tell how big the thing is, and I haven't found specs. Will it fit between two floor joists on 16 inch centers? If not, I'll run it sideways, but I'd like to know.

**I could make a new sump lid out of two sheets of 1/2 inch plywood. A friend gave me a dozen squares of the stuff, just the right size. I've already given away 4 pieces to two people so they can make their own lids. But I like my plastic lid, that came from the sump maker and if I use the Basepump, I can easily fit the one 3/4 (or 1"?) pipe into the same slot that is there now.

I didnt' think of raising the pump, but if it is 10 feet now and I lowered it even to 9 feet, I don't know how much extra output I would get, and it wouldn't help during power failures, which do somewhat correspond to rain. We get a lot of power failures around here. In Brooklyn, NY, I never got any, except for the second one that made the national news. (Wasn't in NY for the firtt one.)

Thanks for your multi-faceted answer.

Reply to
mm

Never mind. I found it listed and it's 11 inches long.

Reply to
mm