basement window well???

I have a finished basment that contains a standard-sized basment window. The problem is this window is right at ground level. Not thinking it would be a problem I edged out along that side of the house (took out the grass) and filled the 12 inch strip with bark mulch. Unforutunately this edging filled with water and washed the mulch away. There is a VERY slight slope parallel to the window and water to the left of the window washed down this edged out strip but some pooled up in the window and got into the finished basement. There was about in inch of standing water against the window..... not good. Luckily the window is sealed well and only about the equivalent of a glas of water got in. The land around the window is pretty much flat, there's a very slight slope to the left and away, but again the edging provided an easier path. I have since filled the edged area with dirt and would like to create more of a slope away from the house. But with the window is right at ground level how would I do that? I'm thinking of putting in a window well, allowing me to build up grade against the house. Does this sound like a decent solution? If I put a well in I was thinking about digging it about 6 inches below the bottom of the window (leaving maye 2-3 inches of well wall over the grade) and fill half or more of that 6 inches with drainage stone. The house does have a drainage tile/french drain system installed in the basment, emptying into a sump pump. This is only an issue with VERY heavy rain... it's only occurred twice during storms that dropped 3+ inches of rain in less than a day. Looking for any advice/ideas/wisdom you can provide!!
On 28 Jun 2006 08:56:27 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"

. . .

A really well drained window well is the solution, yes.
That's what I was thinking.... now, if the land is nearly flat and I dig the well at say 6-12 inches deep and fill party with drainage stone, where would I put the drain? I assume the bottom. The question is.... where do I run the drainage pipe to? I don't think I have enough slope to bury pipe 6+ inches and have it drain above ground. Is the drainage for water coming in from above (rain) or below (seeping up). If from above I could add a cover (clear).
Goedjn wrote:

On 28 Jun 2006 09:37:24 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"

To a drywell with 8 to 16' of drain-tile leading out of it.
If you can get enough of a lip to keep runoff from pouring in, then adding a hinged glass panel, sort of like a bulkhead door, will preserve your light and means of egress, while keeping rainfall out. THen all you need to worry about is seepage from the sides and up from the bottom.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the issue.... I don't think this project is beyond what I am capable of (at least I hope not). My impression is drain tile is basically a word for buried perforated-corrugated plastic pipe (ideally wrapped and then buried in crushed stone). Is that correct? If I'm in level ground and have this pipe 6-12 inches underground (running through the bottom of the well), where does the end empty to?
With the bottom of the window at or just above grade I was going to have the well extend up about 1/3 of the height of the window (to ensure run off doesn't get in). I was then going to build up a slight slope againt the well moving water away.
Again, thanks in advance for your patience... Just trying to learn....
Goedjn wrote:

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

It does not have to empty anwhere. Since the tile or pipe has holes in it, it will drain into the surrounding gravel and then into the soil. That is the purpose of the holes.

Either YOU or your EVIL TWIN asked this same question about 4 weeks ago and got a lot of replies. Didnt like those answers ?