basement window too close to ground

Hi,
I have a 3 foot wide basement window that is only one inch above grade. Since we get a fair amount of rain and snow here, I wonder what is the best strategy to prevent water from entering the basement throught this window.
The window was created by the previous owner of the house by widening a smaller window. Since the new openning was cut out by concrete saw, I figure there is a good chance that a hair line crack might develop sometime down the road.
The grading around is okay, ie. water runs away with no problem.
I was suggest by a friend to pour a concrete pad a few feet wide right in front of the window. Will this work ? Or should I create a window well instead ?
Appreciate if someone can give me some suggestions.

I agree, 1" isn't enough.
I think pouring a concrete strip could make it worse by creating more splash up.
Since the drainage is OK now, then I guess you're worried about the imagined crack -- There is no way a concrete saw is going to crack a solid wall. But if you're worried, clear the soil from that area, clean the wall and apply a sealant. Backfill with crushed rock.
Thank you to all the individual who spent the time to respond to my question. Yes, I am a bit worry about a possible hair line crack in the future because there are cracks on the foundation of all my neighbours house, even those without a modified window. The houses are all built by the same builder so I am quite sure I will get one sometime down the road. One of you mentioned sealing the outside of the foundation and then backfill with gravel. I wonder :
1. should I use something like roof tar to seal the wall ?
2. should I dig all the way down to the drain tile and then fill with gravel ? I am actually interested to know how gravel would help the situation... don't gravels with some much gaps among pieces tends to pool water ? What are they better than dirt which actually repels water after it becomes saturated ?

splash
imagined
But
apply a

Henry Asphalt Emulsion I believe is what you're referring to, it was used to seal the interior of several redwood planters recently.

Henry wrote:

My basement windows are below grade, They are protected by semi circular "window wells" made of zinc plated corrugated steel. This would act as a "dam" to keep out some of the water, but there would be leakage where the steel meets the foundation unless you caulk liberally
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:53:44 GMT, someone wrote:

Misunderstanding of the function of a normal window well?
The bottom of the well must be able to drain down (that's why you put gravel) any surface (or precipitation) water that gets in. You use grading to limit the surface water to an amount that can be handled (as little as possible). "Damming" around the perimeter won't help if the ground is actually saturated because then the water would just rise upwards from the ground below. OTOH sealed damming with caulk would not be needed if the grading was good and the ground well drained. If it isn't well drained all the caulk in the world won't help.
Saturated dirt will not "repel" water. If the dirt on the bottom of the well is saturated, the water level will rise above its surface and flood into the window. Gravel is to allow water to FLOW (away). If there is no place for it to flow to (because of saturation) then using dirt instead won't help.
-v.
I replaced my basement windows with a single row of 8" glass blocks. Improved the security of the house, allowed me to get more positive slope away from the wall. Waterproofed the concrete I used to fill the other 24", then banked dirt to within 6" of the bottom of the glass blocks.