Basement window repair/replace question

I need to fix up my basement windows, as a lot of them are cracked/broken. I would like to replace them with windows that open. Current windows consist of rectangular holes in the cement wall about 30" x 18", framed with 2x4 bolted into the concrete. This is my window frame. The existing windows is a framed window that is held in by strips of wood screwed into the frame.

I'd like to replace them with something that opens. Any ideas on how to go about doing this? I know this is more complex then a simple message can explain, so what I'm really looking for is a resource that explains how to make windows like this. I'm not carpenter, and if I tried to wing it, it would be functional but very ugly.

Reply to
Ook

Stop in to HD, Lowes, Menards, whatever, and look at the all-vinyl basement windows. There are opening types that are a cinch to install. Pick a size a tad smaller then your masonry (not the present frame) opening. Then SawzAll the old wood out of the way. Set the new windows into the opening with regular mason mix mortar or the glass block mix, which is a bit more expensive and somewhat friendlier. Trowel the outside lower ledge to slope for drainage. The hard part will be getting the mix in and around the new window frame and making it neat. Probably roughing up the old concrete for a better bond would be good, so use your judgement there. If your opening seems a bit too big in some dimension, build it up with brick chunks, new pavers or whatever looks easy plus mortar. You may have to modify the window header on top to conform and support the mortar, but all in all it is pretty easy to do. In fact, in the ideal case you could be in, out and done in under two hours. My last one took double that because I had to narrow the opening by half a brick (sliced off with a cheap diamond blade in the circuar saw). HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I kinda agree with Joe.

30x18 I think is a standard basement window size.

Stock vinyl replacement windows for a basement are about $65 each here. Custom sizes ordered about 50% more.The only "fancy" tool you might need is a small hammer drill. Directions are included with the windows.

Your choices may include canopy, awning and sliders.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That is what I was after - something that could be opened. The existing window frames don't quite fit the holes, and are held in place with wood trim. I want something on hinges, with a screen behind it.

Reply to
Ook