Basement window question

You can cut it out with a sawzall.

Depending on the type of window you are putting in, you can frame it with pt lumber or, if it is a concrete or stone foundation, you can cement the window in place.

I used to put them in basements in the neighborhood where I lived. Rip out all the rotted wood, mix up some mortar and set the metal or vinyl framed window in place, put mortar all around it. . Made a nice buck doing it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hello. I've got 4 steel casement basement windows that I want to replace. I understand I need to frame out the steel with pt wood, then put in a vinyl replacement window. In the middle of the steel window, there is a piece of steel that is vertical. What have you guys done in this situation ?? Cut it out ?? Thanks.

posted on alt.building.construction

Reply to
jack

"jack" wrote on 11 Nov 2004:

If you remove the putty that holds the glass into the frame, you may discover that the frame is held in the concrete by a few screws. Makes it easy to remove the entire frame.

Reply to
Doug Boulter

Reply to
Clark Griswold

Depends on the window design. Some have a flange about 1" or so. that runs around it, or at least on the top and bottom. You have something that mortar will hold on. You have to put mortar both inside and outside. You can also have some insulation in there but there is not room for a lot of it.

Done right, it looks as though it was built right in and it maintenance free. If it ever has to be replace, the mortar can be chipped out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski