basement water mystery

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

That would qualify, probably, as the sci-fi feat of the century :o) I suppose some quirk of absorption could cause something like that, plus a small, invisible geyser coming through the floor :o) Jeesh, I've never had water collect on top of a rise.
Something else just came to mind. Teenagers in the house? Mebbe they had an accident of some sort, had to clean it up, and couldn/t tell mom and dad about it :o) Check the roof, though, and keep an eye on the kids :o)
Norminn wrote:
---SNIP---

Same accident twice, one year apart? Ummm....they are teenagers, so I probably shouldn't put anything past them.
Also, there may be aquifers in this area. Maybe we're lucky enough to have one right underneath the house that every once in a while wants to remind us that it's there....

I had a mysterious wet spot in my basement, as well, a while back. A very noticable amount of water, about 6 feet from the nearest wall, but the surrounding floor/walls/ceiling were bone dry. No cracks, no seepage, and so on. It drove me nuts.
I found the source one day when I went down into the basement one morning - water had accumulated in a window well, and once it got deep enough, it jetted across the room through the edge of the window for just a moment. The path of the stream dried out within an hour, while the area with the puddle stayed wet for a day. If I hadn't gone down to the basement at exactly the right moment, I'd probably have thought it was aliens, too. ;-)
- Rich
user wrote:

LOL! That's amazing, Rich! (And I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing...TOWARD you ;-] ).
Our basement windows are actually about 4"-6" above grade, not in window wells, so we probably aren't victims of capricious spitting windows.