basement water mystery

I had a mysterious wet spot in my basement, as well, a while back. A very noticable amount of water, about 6 feet from the nearest wall, but the surrounding floor/walls/ceiling were bone dry. No cracks, no seepage, and so on. It drove me nuts.

I found the source one day when I went down into the basement one morning - water had accumulated in a window well, and once it got deep enough, it jetted across the room through the edge of the window for just a moment. The path of the stream dried out within an hour, while the area with the puddle stayed wet for a day. If I hadn't gone down to the basement at exactly the right moment, I'd probably have thought it was aliens, too. ;-)

- Rich

Reply to
user

Update: after 36 hours the suspense was killing me, so I checked under the plastic sheeting I had taped down around the prime trouble spot. No moisture, not the slightest hint. Absolutely, totally dry. Not cold either, just cool to the touch like any tile floor.

Hmmmmm.......

Reply to
lsulky

Thanks for the update. Any rain in the forecast?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not really. Nor has there been much at all, all summer. Last Friday we had our entire allotment for August fall in about 3 hours. But that was three days after we discovered the water. There had been "almost" no rain prior to that.

("Almost" is relative. This is Toronto, not Tucson.)

Reply to
lsulky