basement wall with ledge?

Hello,
We recently purchased a new bi-level (raised ranch) home with a partially finished basement. The bottom half of the basement walls are bare poured concrete, while the top half has been finished with drywall. This has created a ledge going around the entire basement. I would like to finish the basement myself however none of the reading I have done addresses the ledge that as been created halfway up the wall. How is such a wall supposed to be framed and insulated, specifically on top of the concrete ledge?
Thank you,
Jaxx
Jaxx wrote:

Given the top is already finished, if lower concrete walls are reasonably straight, use furring strips to drywall the lower portion, then run a nice piece of 1x4 or 1x6 to make a shelf that runs around the room. If walls are not straight, then frame a short stud wall around lower half, dry wall, then run a 1x8 or 1x10 around room making wider shelf. OK for "shelf" to overhang the lower drywall a little bit.
--reed

Using the furring strip method will hinder any electrical work you may have planned. Building a wall directly in front of the concrete using standard dimensional lumber and insulation, with a continuious shelf ledge above is probably the best bet.

I have the same situation. The living portion is framed with 2 x 4 and normal insulation. The top is finished off with a wide board to make a shelf around the room. In my case, the shelf is was stained and finish with poly. It is also the height just below the window sills so it is good for plants. Ed

And ventilation, especially if it's below grade.
Pop