Basement wall thermal insulation.

My basement walls are poured concrete. I live where winters are cold. I am planning some enhancement of the basement (family room, workshop, etc). The basement is fully heated by the central heating system.

The walls are very cold to the touch, particularly above the frost line and even more so where the walls are above ground.

I would like to provide some insulation for these walls. I do not want to go the expense and time consuming inconvenience of installing studs, glass wool all around the basement which is 40' x 40'.

Are there any products, perhaps in the form of boards, which I could install directly against these concrete walls, maybe using construction adhesive? I have no need to use these walls for support of shelving, etc. I seem to recall that rock wool boards (8' x 4' x 1.0") are available but I don't now where I saw these.

All advice/comments are welcome.

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

I used 2- 3 inches of the 7.2 r per inch foamboards and screwed them to the concrete and painted them. Not a finished look but i dont care as I have moisture probems and remove some in summer to examine for mold and joint repair, If you paint, prime with the apropriate primer. Yes it will make a big difference, but foamboard cost me apx .66 - 1.00 per sq ft uninstaled, 2 - 3 inches of foil faced r 7.2 per inch.

Reply to
m Ransley

I did just that. Glued 2" (blue) foam board directly to the concrete with construction adhesive.

It acts as an effective vapor barrier and, as long as the walls don't leak, shouldn't be any problems. Seal the edges of the board so that insects can't nest.

Next, I glued drywall directly to the foamboard. (Check what thickness may be required over the foam for fire protection.) It not only made a stable wall surface, but it was virtually indestructible. You could run head-on into it and not dent the drywall!

You have to plan ahead for any utilities, such as recepts, and how to run cable/conduit and depth of boxes. I wouldn't run Romex without protection.

The improvement in comfort was dramatic.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim