Basement Wall Penetration- How?

I have a concrete block basement, and about 3' below the outside finish grade, I want a 3" pvc pipe to pass through the concrete block wall, to bring power and water lines from inside the house to a 48" trench that will carry them to an outbuilding and a yard hydrant. What is the proper method of sealing the wall to the pipe so that it will not leak? Where my well water pipe and conduit pass through the basement wall, they just grouted around them and in a heavy rain, they will occasionally drip. I was thinking something on the order of putting a

4" hole in the block wall, putting in the conduit, and then filling the surrounding space with grout, and tarring on the outside. Will this work, or is there a better method?
Reply to
warrenshudson

I am a pipefitter/plumber and this is what we use for underground wall penetrations.

digitalmaster

its most important the area directly outside the penetration is well drained.

you will get a leak no matter what you do if water pools there.

a drain line with gravel should do the job.

the sewer authority caused a problem after replacing a main sewer line.........

it flooded basements along the route:( turned yards into a swamp:(, so they dug up the line and put a perforated pipe alongside the existing sewer line draining to a convenient stream.

think of the slope and terrain of your new ditch you dont want to direct water towards your home.

hydralic cement is a gpood sealer, just put in hole then cement PVC line in place....

Reply to
hallerb

I would drill separate holes for sanitary, water, electric, low volt. I would install a slightly oversized sleeve of PVC or steel for the intended pipe/wire. Grout the sleeves into the existing wall. Apply emulsified tar or pitch to the exterior using nylon mesh reinforcement. Multiple coats don't hurt. Install utility through sleeve. Pack the annular space with backer rod and cap with NP1 or other polyurethane caulk. Drainage gravel lower than the penetrations that went to daylight would be great, but probably not feasible. Make sure surface grade drains away from the area. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG