Basement wall paint to cover mildew

This house used to have a minor basement water problem due to bad gutters, fixed that, but I'd like to paint the walls to cover the black mildew stains in a couple of the corners. Concrete block walls. What would cover these stains with an absolute minimum of surface prep?

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

If you haven't already done this, wash down the walls with a bleach and water solution and see if the stains don't disappear.

Reply to
CAStinneford

After the bleach and water try Kills

Reply to
SQLit

Drylock is great for painting concrete (poured or block) but you will have to clean the stains first. The can will tell you how to clean it and the cleaning product is usually right near it on the shelves at the store. The paint is about $17/gallon or $55 per 5 gallon bucket.

I am actually in the middle of such a process right now except that my walls are only a year old and just need a good sweeping to get the concrete dust off of them. It looks great and is a ton easier and cheaper than finishing the basement. My basement is about 1600 sq. ft and I will need about 12 gallons by the time I'm done.

Reply to
Brad

After a coat of Killz, Zinsser Mildew-Proof PermaWhite interior paint works great, really does resist mildew for at least a few years as far as we can tell, and can be tinted to light colors. And you can get it in a satin, I think.

-Oldy

Reply to
Oldylocks

Most anything will work after proper prep work. Nothing will work without it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Clean the walls with a household bleach solution, 1 cup of bleach in a gallon of warm water. Probably a garden sprayer would make it easier. If you use soap, you'll need to rinse it. Allow it to completely dry before you paint, about a week.

Reply to
Phisherman

Seems the way to go here is start with a bleach solution then go from there. Thanks for the replies.

Dan

Reply to
Dan