Basement Tile Over Cleanout?

I am in the process of tiling a basement and in one corner is a 4" capped pipe, I assume a cleanout. What should I do about this? Tile over it? Leave a loose tile over it? Raise it up to tile level?

Any advice would be welcome. I searched the archives and couldn't find this topic discussed previously.

Reply to
Jeff Jorczak

How about double stick tape tile on a piece of wood that fits nicely over it. Wood could be screwed to plastic cap. Maybe mark the tile in a subtle manner so you can find it when necessary.

Reply to
Art

You'll hate yourself if you tile over it. So will the NEXT owner of the house! You can tile the cap itself and make it match mostly. But in ANY case, do NOT cover it for eternity. Years from now they'll be getting a jackhammer out to fix the pipes underneath!

Reply to
Mark Harris

IF you can raise the floor around it and still have it functional, do that. A good tile cutter can lay a tile around it - cut tile in half, smoothely, cut out circular opening, lay the tiles and the "seam" won't show. Our tile contractor did something similar around ballusters that are anchored on the side of a step down to our living room. I know the seams are there, but mighty hard to see. Didn't believe it 'til I saw them do it. They also built up the cement or whatever it is to slope some tiles ever so slightly so that they are level with adjoining terazzo - the difference between hubby/me and a good professional is great :o)

I would never cover or hide a clean out - soon as you do, you will need to use it. Guaranteed :o)

There may be a water shut-off hidden inside a pvc thingy. That is where ours is, and mighty hard to get to when the washer hose bursts :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I would rework the plumbing to come level with the top of the new floor. Use a flush cap. These are available in brass and PVC. Another alternative is to leave it be and install a stainless steel blank cover that will sit on top of the new floor.

DanG