basement teleposts -boxing in

I am developing my basement.I have 2 teleposts that I would like to box in and hilite them useing oak. Basically make them look like oak pillars.I am a novice at this type of finishing work and was wondering if anyone had some ideas for doing this?

Reply to
brent

I assume you are talking about the kind with the screw at the top for adjusting the height. I've been down this route. Remove the adjusting pin when they are set to the correct height -- just tap out with a hammer and punch, as the pin is too long to enclose.

I boxed mine in with nice 1" pine (really not 1", but that is what you call it. Got 4 pieces, and overlapped each. Finish nails to hold them together... you will need some clamps to secure things while you are nailing. Putty in the nail holes, some stain, and matte finish varnish. Use oak stain in your case. If you really want them to look like oak, see if you can find oak planks instead of pine. However, it is expensive, and you will have to pre-drill the holes for the finish nails. You might also glue the "box" you build, for extra stability.

You might also be able to finish the pine "box" with oak paneling. However, for the edge, you will then need some edge moulding. That might not look all that good.

I had a drop ceiling, so just ran the support piece for the ceiling around the resulting "box." I also had a wet bar that was up against the side of one of the boxed in posts. I had divided my basement into two sections -- the finished one I just mentioned, and the other part for a shop area, laundry, utilities, etc.

Reply to
professorpaul