Basement stairs

I am remodeling the basement. Its a new house. When the builders did the basement, they put blueboard on both sides of the stairs running all the way down to the basement floor. Instead of making the walls smooth with veneer plaster, they put the same texture on the walls as they did on the ceiling.
I really want smooth walls. I think you probably know what I am going to write next. What should I do ?? I was thinking I should tear it all out and replace it -or- figure out a way to get rid of the texture. I can't put a layer of wallboard on top of it because that won't leave me enough room to install a skirtboard when I finish off the stairs.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Why not put a coat of veneer plaster over the texture?
That is what you want to do. It is done all the time.
That's a great idea. I wonder how well it would adhere to the old finish. I had a textured wall once that I wanted smooth. I soaked the wall and scraped it off. It was pretty easy to do but it would probably depend on the material used. Did the same with a ceiling once.

Skim coat over the texture.

Has the wall been painted? If not you can wet the wall down and the texture will soften and scrape of easily. If painted it probably would be easier to skim coat the walls. Greg
If the wall has been painted you need to use a binder before skimcoat, more so as the paint is glossier. They make a special one sold at drywall supply houses, but I've just used a high grade latex primer with good results.